Should i be afraid of my laptops OLED screen?

Arjun Chandran

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
I recently bought an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x ryzen variant. It has an Oled screen. I went for the OLED screen because I'm a creative user and needs a good panel with great color reproduction but at a lower expense. I really love the display apart from ASUS's stupid bugs but now I'm scared to use it more thinking of burn-in. I have enabled all ASUS software protection even enabled auto hide taskbar.

Should I be this worried? honestly, I want the taskbar to show always but am worried to enable it. Im new to OLED screens, will it get burn in so fast? Oh and btw I mostly keep my screen brightness under 50%

D

Deleted member 362816

You bought it, it is a oled. That being said software does a good job anymore of avoiding burn in at least on the desktop. But at some point with PC use it will burn it. A laptop is a tool, use it and when it goes bad replaced it for something newer etc.

No reason to be afraid.

Reactions: Arjun Chandran

Arjun Chandran

Commendable
Sep 23, 2019
Im planning to use it for at least 4 years and then replace it. Probably the specs will be okay for more than 4 years but I'm not sure if the laptop lasts for that long. Yeah, I know many people still use a laptop for many years and I'm also happy to. But I've already faced a lot of quality issues with ASUS laptops and had replacements that's why I'm worried.

Also, there is a utility software from ASUS called "My ASUS" it provides these OLED protection features but now that software is causing some color bugs with the display and ASUS is ignoring it. I cant uninstall cus ill lose some color options and screen protection.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
OLED screens will always be susceptible to burn-in, however burn-in anti-measures have come a long way in recent years.
Some software, monitors and tv's with oled screens will automatically dim static images being displayed, even if it is only a small portion of the screen. There's also periodic pixel shift and full screen dimming upon inactivity. If these features are available to you, I would make sure that they are enabled.

I have read numerous times that you can further avoid chances of burn-in by keeping your brightness 80% or lower and this can vary depending on the screen's max brightness and the lighting of your environment, but this is generally speaking.

I use an oled tv with my pc and I keep the brightness at 80% and contrast at 100%, but I do manually lower the brightness if I know I'm going to be web browsing or doing something on the desktop for a long period of time.

You should definitely be fine in a 4 year span, though, as long as you don't leave it on carelessly.

I recently bought an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x ryzen variant. It has an Oled screen. I went for the OLED screen because I'm a creative user and needs a good panel with great color reproduction but at a lower expense. I really love the display apart from ASUS's stupid bugs but now I'm scared to use it more thinking of burn-in. I have enabled all ASUS software protection even enabled auto hide taskbar.

Should I be this worried? honestly, I want the taskbar to show always but am worried to enable it. Im new to OLED screens, will it get burn in so fast? Oh and btw I mostly keep my screen brightness under 50%
Your most likely to have trouble at high brightness settings. You certainly wouldn't want to leave it displaying a static image for a significant length of time. Have you used ASUS OLED Care? It has some mitigations to help prevent burn in:

Dark mode looks cool, it would save on battery power too.