[SOLVED] Should I be getting a new CPU fan?

bezwick

Prominent
Aug 12, 2021
So I recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard. Went from an i5 to an i9. I still had the stock CPU fan that was provided with the i5 and old motherboard. I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my new CPU. I’ve upgraded almost every aspect of my pc since I got it. I play games like Red Dead Redemption 2, and only get about 60-70 frames on medium to high graphics, with an RTX 2070 Super and an i9-10850k. Is this normal? I’m thinking the fan is the last thing that needs to be touched, because it is literally the only part I haven’t changed since I got my pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You can possibly get away with a trick I use to run 95w processors under 65w heatsinks--set the hsf fan to 100% all the time. Generally, this is enough cooling even under load unless the chip is a hot one like the 4790k which didn't like this and did hit thermal throttling.
There is no circumstance where the i5 stock cooler will be enough for an i9 to run properly. Run, yes, run at its capacity, not at all. The i9 is a very beefy chip, and the Intel TDP ratings do not usually show the actual power draw of the CPUs. An i5-8400 is rated at 65W, but actually draws about 50W full load, while the "95W" i9 will actually draw upwards of 150W under heavy load.

@bezwick , what cooler did you order, the i9 series require a very strong cooler to run at full capacity. I recommend something like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 for air coolers, or a 240mm or larger water cooler if you want to run at full speed, with decent temps.

jasechiu

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
So I recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard. Went from an i5 to an i9. I still had the stock CPU fan that was provided with the i5 and old motherboard. I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my new CPU. I’ve upgraded almost every aspect of my pc since I got it. I play games like Red Dead Redemption 2, and only get about 60-70 frames on medium to high graphics, with an RTX 2070 Super and an i9-10850k. Is this normal? I’m thinking the fan is the last thing that needs to be touched, because it is literally the only part I haven’t changed since I got my pc. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
What about your RAM speed and how many GB?

logainofhades

Titan
You can possibly get away with a trick I use to run 95w processors under 65w heatsinks--set the hsf fan to 100% all the time. Generally, this is enough cooling even under load unless the chip is a hot one like the 4790k which didn't like this and did hit thermal throttling.

The 10850k is a very hot chip. It's a 10c/20t CPU. No intel stock cooler is sufficient for such a chip. Any tower cooler, would be better than the stock one. Even this cheap thing would be better. Not enough for a 10850k, but far better than the junk Intel bundles with their CPU's.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS8X Optima CPU Cooler ($16.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $16.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 09:30 EDT-0400

An i5-8400 is rated at 65W, but actually draws about 50W full load, while the "95W" i9 will actually draw upwards of 150W under heavy load.
It's not the power draw that's important but the thermal classification. It can draw 150w, but if Intel is shipping it with their 95w tdp cooler, then it should normally be fine with such a cooler, hence the fan trick I use might work. Again, if it's just a hottie, then it won't.

I have no experience with this exact cpu, but generally I have found that legit (not fake) Intel cpu/cooler combos do the job they're supposed to. It wouldn't make business sense for Intel to ship the coolers otherwise.
As far as I know, they dont. The K series CPUs, even though they are rated at the same TDP as the non K chips, do not come with Intel coolers, because intel knows the CPU will draw too much power, and create too much heat for their stock coolers to handle.

As far as I know, they dont. The K series CPUs, even though they are rated at the same TDP as the non K chips, do not come with Intel coolers, because intel knows the CPU will draw too much power, and create too much heat for their stock coolers to handle.
Ah, then that makes perfect sense, and business sense too as most K owners would be using higher performance cooling solutions anyways.

It would be interesting to see if the 65w cooler with fan at 100% would at least run the 95w without throttling. That's what I found out for my 4790k, but under a heavy load it would throttle so I upgraded the cooler. On the 1155 and 1156 cpus, even the K series, ramping up the fan works great-- no new cooler needed.