[SOLVED] Should I be looking at the QVL for the motherboard or the CPU?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I was going to go with Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (8GBx4) with a cas latency of 16. The motherboard will be an Asus Crosshair Dark Hero and the Asus QVL list only has this model of ram in a cas latency of 18.

The exact part number for the RAM is CMW32GX4M4D3600C16. Is there any reason the same RAM with tighter timings of 16 instead of 18 shouldn't work.

I looked at a QVL list from AMD and it only listed 2 Corsair RAM kits as approved and it wasn't this one. I was looking at a QVL that said AMD 3000 series and up. Don't they have a specific QVL for the 5000 series?

If I use the Corsair memory finder and enter my motherboard it shows CMW32GX4M4D3600C18 on the product page as an option. If I click on it there is a drop down box that allows me to choose the C16 version.

Solution
You will may get a different QVL table for the motherboard, depending on the processor installed.
If you are looking at a ram kit that does not appear on the QVL list, look at the Corsair ram selection app.
The QVL list is those kits that were successfully tested on that motherboard.
They can't do them all.

I might add that ryzen operates in dual channel mode, regardless of two or 4 sticks in the kit.
There have been some reports that assert 4 sticks to be a benefit, but, I am dubious about that.
It costs more to match 4 sticks vs, two.
All ram must be matched as to voltage, cas and timings. Similar capacity in 2 x 16gb should cost less.
If you want 4 lines of rgb then that is a different matter.
You will may get a different QVL table for the motherboard, depending on the processor installed.
If you are looking at a ram kit that does not appear on the QVL list, look at the Corsair ram selection app.
The QVL list is those kits that were successfully tested on that motherboard.
They can't do them all.

I might add that ryzen operates in dual channel mode, regardless of two or 4 sticks in the kit.
There have been some reports that assert 4 sticks to be a benefit, but, I am dubious about that.
It costs more to match 4 sticks vs, two.
All ram must be matched as to voltage, cas and timings. Similar capacity in 2 x 16gb should cost less.
If you want 4 lines of rgb then that is a different matter.

Solution