Should I be scared off of EVGA GTX 1080 SC? Other GPU suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzera

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Long story short, building a new gaming computer and have everything except the Graphics Card. Was a week or so out from purchasing the EVGA GTX 1080 SC but now with all the articles about the EVGA 10 series burning up, can anyone suggest another really good 1080 card? Is this even anything to worry about? Some people on EVGA forums say it's nothing and definitely shouldn't worry about the SC version but then you see posts (with reputable links) about much higher temps than competitor cards and no response from EVGA techies stating that is incorrect. I'm sinking a lot of money in this build and just want to know what my options are and what you guys think is best. Thanks!

Mobo - GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000
PSU - 750W Seasonic SS-750KM3

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
Uh yes as a matter of fact I would worry about this and wouldn't leave this issue unaddressed. EVGA knew they screwed up and therefore is including free thermal pads and shipping for the card. Yet they claim it's just from Furemark, When it's not. It's also from Metro Last Light and other intensive games.
I had the EVGA FTW 1070 and returned it for the Strix OC 1070 and i can tell you it's way better. Better cooling, clock and acoustics. The EVGA card would go up to 2020MHZ at 80C max with some loud fans.... However the Strix GPU can do 2050MHZ at 62C Max very silent. This is without me touching anything.
EVGA really screwed up. They would not be handing out free thermal pad solutions if this wasnt an issue. EVGA needs to get their act together. They tried to skimp out on their GPU's and they did this same thing with the 900 Series. ( Trying to use the 700 series cooling)

Solution: return it and get the Asus Strix OC 1080. You wont regret it....

No, don't be worried about it.
Even though I own a FTW myself, they're now shipping cards with thermal pad kits that you can apply to the VRMs.
Just contact EVGA and ask them to send you one, or send the card to them and they'll send it back to you with the pads applied.
The Strix might perform better out of the box, but the prices for the OC models are also very high, and not very wallet friendly.
EVGA support is excellent, not to worry.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

http://forums.evga.com/Is-the-EVGA-1070-SC-effected-by-the-VRM-overheating-issue-m2571376.aspx
Good info here.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
EVGA l $439 l
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487259
Asus Strix l $429 l
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126109
The Strix card is actually cheaper. EVGA isn't such a good brand as thought of. They really do skimp out to save money. Also what really makes me even more mad is that they are giving you kits now with the card? I'm pretty sure anyone with the right mind doesn't wanna go purchase a new GPU and have to assemble thermal pads on it. Graphics card's are not Legos..... The Strix is faster, quieter, built better and cooler. When i took the Strix outta the box compared to the EVGA card. I can tell the Asus Card was better quality...

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
The only good thing about them is their support. The Strix is a better card than the EVGA FTW or any EVGA 1070. Hate to repeat myself but once again, it's cooler, quieter and faster... EVGA did the same exact thing with the 900 series. They tried using the 700 series and to cut costs. Same here case but with a bomb fire.

If it were my GPU. I'd return it for the Strix like i did with my EVGA FTW 1070. You wont regret it once you get your hands on it. There's just such a good feeling about having the Strix over the FTW. I don't know why but for me, it feels good to own a Strix GPU. The only thing you'll regret about returning the EVGA FTW GPU is that youll miss the poster :/

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Every manufacturer has had issues at some point , sometimes the issues don't arise till they hit the retail market. Look at the problems early on with the 480's. Nobody wrote them off , they are selling well after a patch fix. I have owned several EVGA cards all were first rate.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
Yah but this is a decision on a brand. EVGA is only good for their warranties. I can tell from personal experience that the Strix card is worth your money. It has way less noticeable coil whine over the EVGA card.

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

I actually agree with this except these are the 1070's and not the 1080's that are linked. I have owned both the EVGA FTW and ASUS STRIX OC models and ASUS really takes the cake with Pascal. They have a solid design with their 1070 and 1080 cards. Excellent cooling and performance. I also prefer the aesthetics but that's a very subjective thing.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED

Now That's My Kinda Language!!

Mac, try not to be so biased when writing responses, both are great cards and run cool and quiet, no issues with either imo.
The Strix you've selected is the stock clocked version by the way, not a fair comparison. :p
Regardless the SC is about 10% cheaper and is clocked higher.
EVGA SC ($388 @ 1.59GHz)
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/GGPzK8/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-video-card-rog-strix-gtx1070-8g-gaming
Asus Strix ($424 @ 1.51GHz)
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/GGPzK8/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-video-card-rog-strix-gtx1070-8g-gaming

I'm by no means an EVGA fanboy, their 1080 cards are quite poor value in the US, with the G1 Gaming and Amp! series being the two best value next to the Strix, I just got the FTW as that and the SC were the two cheapest to get shipped to AUS through Newegg for $900, given local prices are about $1100 starting here.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
Yet the love is $5 cheaper for the worse one . For $5 more get the Strix . I'm not being bias .... I've always used Asus and I decided to switch to EVGA and regretted it . IT'S facts that Asus Strix OC is probably the best 1080 out . It's insanely cooler than the EVGA and is quieter with a higher clock . I'd like to evga ..... you just don't get a certain feeling as you do when you have a Asus card.

All comes down to the aesthetics and personal preference, they all perform the same for the most part, same core chip with different coolers/PCBs. :)
Even the highest Strix OC card only holds a few percent over a stock clocked one due to the impact GPU Boost 3.0 has on pascal cards.

Honestly EVGA is hands down one of the best out there. They usually perform and overclock the best. This is the first time in awhile they have had ANY issues with their cards. They have already put out a Vbios update that fixes the cooling of the card as well as optional thermal pads. You can dis EVGA all you want but they are the #1 selling nvidia brand for a reason. Hell Asus back in the kepler series was SLAMMED for their heat pipe placement on amd cards and i believe it was also nvidia cards. The heat pipes barely touched the gpu chip at all and yet they let them go out like that. Msi has had their issues as well. Every manufacturer has their faults as stated so you cannot slam one company without slamming another. Asus and MSI have the worst warranties in the business hands down which is one of the big reasons EVGA stays on top. ONLY reason i went with asus this time was because i got the instore replacement warranty so i can swap them out when nvidia next gen comes out and because asus honestly had better rgb lighting i felt. ALL pascal cards perform the same so it came down to looks for me and this time evga just let me down in that department. Also i paid like $30 less per card for my 1080's so that was another selling point. This will probably be the only time i stray from evga as even my psu is evga. They really do make top notch stuff. They just had a slip this time which is easily fixable and has been fixed.

Agreed, you can't go "it's not the same as having an Asus" and jump on the bandwagon shaming EVGA when nearly all manufacturers have had some sort of issue in the past.
Its a graphics card, not the end of the world.
When it comes down to it even if there's an issue which can be fixed easily i'd happily buy an EVGA card now knowing full well about this issue if it means i'll get top notch warranty and service.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
I still wouldn't trust them . They may have great support but that's what FTW means.... Fire then warranty . THEY cheaped out to cut costs and it backfired on them . LIKE I said they did this same thing with the 900 Series . Asus doesn't cut corners. I'VE never had issues with their support and I find them just as helpful as EVGA . YOU should just be able to pop the carf in your system and use it . Not having to read instructions and build Legos . Then install thay Bios and create a custom fan curve. Without the custom fan curve their cooling is garbage ... Never going with them again.

They fix is a fan curve adjustment. The fans were running to low during high temp sessions. This cause the vram voltage reg to catch fire. Their vbios fix which does work is a fan curve increase in the stock fan profile. They didn't cheap out on anything. The new cards coming out have the vbios update. they offer the thermal pads just to make people feel more comfortable but even their new cards are coming with them on there from what i've read. They didnt "cheap out" on anything. It was just a bios issue just like the 480 had.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
I'm just saying how every says they're are good .... They really arent to be honest . They try to cut corners that shouldn't be cut.
Strix Pros :
Less power
Less coil whine
Cooler
Quieter
EVGA Pros :
Warranty

The thing that's stuck onto me the most was the noise. THE strix card was substantally quiter on full load and produces significantly lower coil whine . Never had an issue with Asus . Great brand and quality .

Neurodrive

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I wouldn't have any reservations about getting an EVGA card. As mentioned already by several individuals here they are basically the paragon of manufacturer support. Every manufacturer has had hiccups at some point with their product, but EVGA has been quick to address the problem and I wouldn't expect there to be an issue moving forward.

As far as performance, this gen every card more or less is on par with each other. More decisions are being made on aesthetics than performance so if you like the look of the EVGA cards then go for it and feel confident in the support you'll get in the event that something does actually go wrong.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED

Yep..... It's cooler, faster, quieter and has less power usage.

I agree with Neurodrive here, sorry buddy.
You're not making very accurate claims, if you'll read over responses by myself or anyone else, we say that EVGA is a great company, but they're not the best at everything, and give supporting facts/reasoning.
In your case you're just worshipping Asus as if they can do no wrong, not a good mindset to have in tech.
Here's a response I recieved just a few hours ago from EVGA in regards to a request to bundle their powerlink cable thing with the thermal pad kit since you have to pay for shipping for the former item.
Their support team is truly top notch.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Question:
Hi,

I am an owner of a GTX 1080 FTW graphics card and have recently requested the thermal pad kit for the VRMs on my card.
I was wondering since I have to pay additional shipping costs for the EVGA Powerlink whether it would be possible to ship them together to save on personal expenses?

Kind regards,

Matt
----------------

Dear Valued Customer

We will try to combine together, if it is not possible to catch it, EVGA will send thermal mod to you later at our cost.

Thank you

EVGA Customer Service Center

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
Once again you should not have to assemble your thermal pads onto your card. They aren't Legos.... Im just saying that the Asus Strix is probably the best 1000 series card you can buy. Iv'e owned both cards and benched them both. The Asus i found to have less noise including coil whine , cooler, faster and better build quality. I know from personal experience. Only thing i recommend EVGA for is for their support and service.

If i were biased i would not not of purchased an EVGA card. I did and there wasn't anything special about it. Just a ordinary "Okay card" . But yet again I've had no issues with their support and service either. If you return it then it'll be better in the long run. They definitely got something going that EVGA doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.