Question Should I be using MB stand-offs?

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Only use the stand-offs that line up with the mounting holes in your board...any extra stand-offs that you can't screw the motherboard to need to be removed or you will short out the back of your motherboard and bad things will happen...

Ok, I didn't think of that, so thanks.

My actual question was whether I need to screw in a other standoff into the ones that line up or do these look sufficient?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An ATX mobo will use 8/9 standoffs (the center standoff can sometimes be an alignment pin instead) and mATX will use 5/6. Some cases will come pre-installed for mATX, some for ATX, you'll just use whichever is appropriate to your mobo.

You can Not stack the standoffs, if you do, the gpu in the pcie slot will not attach to the pci backplate position as it'll be 5-6mm pushed away from the mounting screws, and most external sockets like dvi and vga will not fit inside the slot, and internal slots like hdmi or dp will be inaccessible, covered by the edge of the slot.

Thats besides the point that by stacking standoffs you reduce cpu cooler clearance from mobo to side panel by 5-6mm

Reactions: Phosphonothioic