Should i be worried about 4gb vram?

Ray_26

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
I just ordered a rx 580 4gb cuz it was miraculously in stock here in sweden in one store. Now i heard that 4gb vram is not enough for 1080p. I also have a 144hz 1080p freesync screen so i kinda wanted to match the screem with the card. Should i be worried? Take note that it is already too late to change because all the 8gb versions are sold out...again.

Solution
I'm not sure about 144Hz, but definitely 1080p at 60Hz. Though you didn't get a GTX 1060, this guy offers a really good explanation for VRAM. Its worth watching till the end, but if you decide not to, he pretty says that 3GB is enough based on the immense number of people who have less than 2GB of VRAM that are using Steam right now. To be able to keep making money, Steam has to make games that most people can still run, or they'll go out of business. The guy is really smart and I think what he says answers your question mostly.

TheDuckMan343

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
4GB is enough. Im running a GTX 970 with 4GB of VRAM which easily can manage 90+ frames on MOST games at medium to high settings (PUBG is a different story). No need to be worried, and with freesync, its better even then

Tim9800

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I'm not sure about 144Hz, but definitely 1080p at 60Hz. Though you didn't get a GTX 1060, this guy offers a really good explanation for VRAM. Its worth watching till the end, but if you decide not to, he pretty says that 3GB is enough based on the immense number of people who have less than 2GB of VRAM that are using Steam right now. To be able to keep making money, Steam has to make games that most people can still run, or they'll go out of business. The guy is really smart and I think what he says answers your question mostly.

Solution

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Short Answer:
Usually 4GB VRAM is enough for 1080p.

I do have a game that was crashing my 3.5GB Geforce 970 when exceeding that limit. I just got a 8GB GTX 1070 card and that same game and other graphics intensive titles seem to like using 5.5GB, now that it has access to it.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

steam does not make games

it is just a place to buy them

it is up to the game makers to choose what kind of hardware their games can run on

Tim9800

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

My bad. However, the proportion of steam users that have 2GB or less of VRAM at least partially dictates what game makers decide to make. Considering that ~70% of users have less than 2GB, and that Steam is the largest games distributor in the world, I would reckon that gamemakers put a pretty big effort into optimizing their games to use less VRAM. So with this in mind, 4GB will be enough for most games, at least on Steam, if not in all games.