[SOLVED] Should I be worried about ESD and DOA parts? Are ESD bracelets overkill?

Nov 17, 2020
Title says it all. I'm new to PC building and I really don't want to damage my parts by accident. These are really the things that I still have questions about and I want to get it straight My question to you is, If you have built many pcs, or have been building them for a long time have have you ever-
  1. Used a ESD wrist strap that clips to your case to ground yourself
  2. Damaged a part (or parts) from ESD (Electro-static-discharge.)
  3. Had a product Dead on arrival

Lastly, any tips for grounding yourself? What methods have you used to prevent ESD? Thanks.

Solution
I have had dead on arrival parts, though its not usually common. The most recent DOA part I had was used, too.

I honestly never worry about static, though the best practice is to use a bracelet and ground yourself. Alternatively, instead of buying a bracelet you can take out the PSU, plug it into a grounded outlet, and periodically touch the grounded housing of the PSU to discharge yourself.
I have had dead on arrival parts, though its not usually common. The most recent DOA part I had was used, too.

I honestly never worry about static, though the best practice is to use a bracelet and ground yourself. Alternatively, instead of buying a bracelet you can take out the PSU, plug it into a grounded outlet, and periodically touch the grounded housing of the PSU to discharge yourself.

Reactions: Mherrmann2
Solution