[SOLVED] Should I be worried about my CPU temperatures?

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I'm sure there's hundreds of other similar threads, but none with my exact specs so whatever.

First of all, here's my specs :

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
Intel Core i7-9700 3.00GHz
16GB RAM
Case is Acer Nitro N50-600

I recently(few days ago) bought a new PC for gaming. Knowing only the basics in terms of PC components, I came here for feedback. As the title says, I'm getting a bit worried about my CPU temperature when playing high-performance games like Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. I've done a bit of research, but I'm still quite unsure about if my CPU has an issue or not. In numbers, I've seen my CPU reach around 85 - 90°C, which is close to the junction temp stated on this page. The average temperature remains the same during gaming regardless of the graphic settings.

Important note : Despite such temperatures being reached, my CPU usage remains around 10-50% almost all the time, including at ~90°C temperatures.

I'd like to mention that the PC itself is performing extremely well. Absolutely no FPS drops in every game and runs very well smoothly on ultra high settings on most. The only things that brought me here are the readings of Core Temp, the burning hot surface of the PC case and the fans spinning in a very loud fashion.

I keep telling myself that it's a machine and it's perfectly normal that temperatures rise up under heavy load. But seeing how high those temperatures actually get, I'm not so sure anymore.

Is this normal? Is there a problem? If so, what should I do?

Last edited:
Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you using the stock Intel heatsink/fan to cool the CPU? If so, you might want to consider replacing with a better performing aftermarket unit.

Those temps are quite hot. What app are you using to measure operating temperatures?

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Are you using the stock Intel heatsink/fan to cool the CPU? If so, you might want to consider replacing with a better performing aftermarket unit.

Those temps are quite hot. What app are you using to measure operating temperatures?

I am indeed using the stock intel fan and heatsink. I haven't changed anything in the PC yet, having only owned it for a few days. For temperatures I use Core Temp for the CPU, and Speccy for the overall PC.

You're saying I should replace the fan? Do you have any suggestions that would be compatible with my processor? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
I am indeed using the stock intel fan and heatsink. I haven't changed anything in the PC yet, having only owned it for a few days. For temperatures I use Core Temp for the CPU, and Speccy for the overall PC.

You're saying I should replace the fan? Do you have any suggestions that would be compatible with my processor? Thanks in advance.
It's likely due to the poor quality of intel stock coolers. Get yourself a nocthua air cooler and you're good to go

COLGeek

Cybernaut

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Last edited:

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
From what I can tell, the answer is no. The Noctua is very likely too tall.

This smaller Noctua should fit and will out-perform the stock unit:

Ok, change of plans.

I received the cooler under 24 hours, only to realize it's slightly too tall for the case (about 1-3 cm too tall).

The packaging was great, so it was easy to put everything back inside for a refund.

Any other suggestions?

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Solution

ObnoxiousWalrus

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019

This seems like a good one. However, a warning about height in the comments state that it only stands at 110mm if the fan is below the heatpipes. How would that work? Wouldn't the fan be constantly pushing back hot air on the CPU?

TRENDING THREADS