[SOLVED] Should I be worried about my Hard Drive?

Longules

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
I just put my hard drive on 2 sort of intensive tasks at once and left it (importing a large video clip into sony vegas and uploading a large file to dropbox.)

When I came back the thing sounded like a little lawnmower. I stopped uploading the file and it quieted down back to normal but it was probably doing whatever it was doing for like 15-20 minutes. Did I thrash it? If so is it bad enough to actually worry about? The drive is relatively new and has lots of space to spare.

Solution
You should always be worried about your hard drive, and keep backups in-case it fails. A good rule of thumb is to treat storage like it will fail next minute and you will be safe.
I just put my hard drive on 2 sort of intensive tasks at once and left it (importing a large video clip into sony vegas and uploading a large file to dropbox.)

When I came back the thing sounded like a little lawnmower. I stopped uploading the file and it quieted down back to normal but it was probably doing whatever it was doing for like 15-20 minutes. Did I thrash it? If so is it bad enough to actually worry about? The drive is relatively new and has lots of space to spare.
Test it first and look at SMART values.

popatim

Titan
You didn't do anything to your drive. Yes this is called thrashing because the heads have to constantly keep moving to grab new data and feed the two different requests. The drives are designed to do this. Windows startup is no different loading hundreds of files.