[SOLVED] Should I be worried about the MAX temperatures of the CPU?

just.a.pillo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
So, 4 months ago, in December, i bought a HP Pavilion 15 dk-0004nq laptop for gaming. This week I also bought 8 gigs of ram(2666mhz, CL19) and from that moment I started noticing that the max temperatures of my CPU have been sky high. While running AC: Odyssey at High graphics my CPU temp value was at 70-85C (90 when i stress it) with the max at 97-100C. Should I be worried about the max temperatures or just the constant ones? I also noticed that the max changes in some kind of temperature spikes, like the CPU goes from 80-88C to 98C and back to 80C nearly instantly. I ordered a cooling pad DeepCool Multi Core X6, will it help?
Specs:
i7-9750H
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Motherboard HP 85FC
Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19 + ADATA 8GB 2666MHz CL19( The ADATA is the one I bought this week)
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD

Thank you in advance!

Solution
  1. I dont want to stop the throttle, I feel like its another layer of protection before frying another processor(yes, i fried another processor before on an older laptop, fourtnately the guarranty covered me.
  2. I dont want to mess with undervolting,overvolting,underclocking or overclocking. I just want to know if its fine, if the temperatures should raise a concern.
Thank you anyway!
The temperatures are high but not uncommon for that cpu in a gaming laptop. If you want to try and reduce the temperature then your options are limited. You can try replacing the thermal paste, undervolting and/or putting a power limit in place or using an FPS limiter in games to reduce the cpu woarkload. I tried a recommended cooling pad...

just.a.pillo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
Google undervolting using Throttlestop, it helps. I have a Dell G5 with the same cpu and it runs hot, Throttlestop has helped a lot, undervolting actually increased benchmark results.
  1. I dont want to stop the throttle, I feel like its another layer of protection before frying another processor(yes, i fried another processor before on an older laptop, fourtnately the guarranty covered me.
  2. I dont want to mess with undervolting,overvolting,underclocking or overclocking. I just want to know if its fine, if the temperatures should raise a concern.
Thank you anyway!

Thank you anyway!
The temperatures are high but not uncommon for that cpu in a gaming laptop. If you want to try and reduce the temperature then your options are limited. You can try replacing the thermal paste, undervolting and/or putting a power limit in place or using an FPS limiter in games to reduce the cpu woarkload. I tried a recommended cooling pad but it made a 1c difference in benchmarks. Its up to you, there are lots of guides online but Throttlestop undervolting reduces the voltage and temperature which both are better for the cpu.

Solution

just.a.pillo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
The temperatures are high but not uncommon for that cpu in a gaming laptop. If you want to try and reduce the temperature then your options are limited. You can try replacing the thermal paste, undervolting and/or putting a power limit in place or using an FPS limiter in games to reduce the cpu woarkload. I tried a recommended cooling pad but it made a 1c difference in benchmarks. Its up to you, there are lots of guides online but Throttlestop undervolting reduces the voltage and temperature which both are better for the cpu.
Will undervolting decrease performance?

moosavi mohammad

Reputable
May 10, 2015
The temperature goes down instantly because it is throttling.
I suggest you use Throttlestop or Intel XTU to:
  1. Under-volt your CPU for like -125 mv (try and see if it's stable with even lower voltage)
  2. Limit your CPU's max clock to prevent it from having tempreture and frequency spikes
If your CPU can stay under 90 and averages around like 85 it's totally safe and it will not throttle.