Should I be worried? (memory related)

Kwyx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
So this afternoon while playing a game my computer froze up. When I rebooted it just kept getting stuck on the bios splash screen, I couldn't even enter the bios setup. After removing everything else I got to the memory, (4 x 1GB sticks). I removed the 2nd pair first, and that did nothing. Then I removed the 1st pair and put the 2nd pair in their place. Everything started working, I was able to plug back in all my drives and peripherals and boot up windows with no problems. Just for grins I put the 1st pair of memory sticks back in and tried again. Now it boots up fine with everything.

Basically, all I ended up doing was swap the 1st and 2nd pair of memory sticks into each others slots and all seems groovy now. Should I be worried that I have bad memory? I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and found no errors. My main concern is that I've only got about a month left on the 90 return for replacement through newegg.

specs:
CPU: E6750
Mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
Mem: 4x1GB A-Data DDR2 800
Gfx: PNY 8800GT 512MB
PSU: Xclio greatpower 550W
Case: Antec 900
HD: 250GB Seagate 7200rpm (SATA 3.0Gb/s)
DVD: Samsung DVD burner (SATA)

Doid2

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Use the BIOS and enable the full boot up memory tests. You could have intermittent bad memory and moved it to the top of the memory space where it's not being used. Depending on how much memory your MB allows (like 3.5GB max?) you may be ok if the bad spot just moved to the unused high end.