Question Should I be worried?

Chadders101

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi everyone!
I recently ordered an RX 580 8GB from XFX on Amazon. I received it today and it turns out to be dead on arrival.

I have already mailed it back and ordered a refund, so that's all taken care of, but I'm worried about my PSU.

After unplugging and switching off my PSU, I removed my old R9 380 and slotted and screwed in my new RX 580.

I then plugged in the PCI-E cables. I had two 6+2 connectors, which I used to make an 8-pin connector, which I believe is correct.

I then plugged in and turned on my PSU, which started making some quiet crackling static noises, which worried me, but I continued.

I closed up the case and turned my computer on. the LED's lit up for a millisecond, then I smelled burning. I believed I had blown a fuse, and I'm still not sure what happened.

I disconnected the new RX 580 and tried turning on the PC with no GPU, which worked fine.

I slotted in my old R9 380 and everything worked fine.

I tried the RX 580 again, and the same thing happened.

I know the graphics card is faulty, but I'm worried about the lifespan of my PSU. I have clearly physically damaged it in same way and I hope I haven't caused it to malfunction sometime in the near future.

Should I be worried?

Thank you for reading.

Chadders101

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
I think those have a 5 year warranty, contact Corsair support, tell them what happened with the PSU see what they say. Crackling and burning smell from a computer is not good.

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've contacted Corsair support and I believe I will be getting a new PSU replacement, which is wonderful.

However, I have since ordered a new RX 580 8GB, which will be arriving tomorrow. I am wondering if it's safe to use my current, damaged PSU to run it, or if I should wait for the replacement PSU to arrive.

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've contacted Corsair support and I believe I will be getting a new PSU replacement, which is wonderful.

However, I have since ordered a new RX 580 8GB, which will be arriving tomorrow. I am wondering if it's safe to use my current, damaged PSU to run it, or if I should wait for the replacement PSU to arrive.

It's never safe to use something that showed it had issues. Any chance greater than normal for an issue is too much. If a parachute failed 1% of the time, but the one you were about to use had a 5% failure, I doubt you would jump, even though 5% is not THAT bad. It may be fine, it may not, but I would not risk it.