[SOLVED] Should i be worry about intel cpu security flaw?

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I havent really follow the intel security flag saga except reading the tech blog headline. but i am in the market for a new CPU for gaming only, i am learning toward a Ryzen 3700x/3600x but benchmark show 9700k is better in almost every case. Should i be worry about intel cpu security flaw? is it fully "fixed" on 9700k? i mean i know there is no exploit in the wild yet, but i am planning to keep my CPU for 5+ year, so i am paranoid there may be exploit in a few year

Solution
To be honest with you I'm not sure if the 9900k contains all the fixes for current and future exploits at the hardware level.

That said a number of these sprectre like side channel attacks can be done via JavaScript meaning visiting a webpage could get you hacked. A lot of them require time and patience as the cache speculative lookup tables get hammered over and over again. And just because it gets hammered doesn't mean the bits will flip or in the right place. For it to be successful the side channel attack has to happen on a core running at ring 0 kernel.

All in all I think you are safe now however that may change when script kiddies get involved and get ahold of the POC

Future gen chips on the board will encrypt individual...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If all you do is game, then no, the security patches shouldn't concern you. That's an issue for datacenters and business related services.
Intel 9th gen, some of the fixes were done on the hardware level, mitigating the performance impact - not that it was very significant in the first place. It's a different story for older gen cpus(4xxx and down).

No cpu is completely safe from exploits. Just as there is new tech over the horizon, it's the same for exploits.
You can't guard against something you don't yet know about...

askara

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
If all you do is game, then no, the security patches shouldn't concern you. That's an issue for datacenters and business related services.
Intel 9th gen, some of the fixes were done on the hardware level, mitigating the performance impact - not that it was very significant in the first place. It's a different story for older gen cpus(4xxx and down).

No cpu is completely safe from exploits. Just as there is new tech over the horizon, it's the same for exploits.
You can't guard against something you don't yet know about...

what you mean it doesn't concern me? The exploit cant be used remotely on a home pc? if so whats up with the disabling hyper threading security fix thing from few month ago? i know 9700k doesnt have thread, just wondering.

I know no CPU is completely safe, but its a different thing when there is exploits made public. and i heard it cant be totally fixed on all current intel cpu(is that still true?)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It shouldn't because you wouldn't be the target of such an attack - attacks which would require the users to be complacent enough to let some stranger access their PC.

All known exploits have been patched. Disabling hyper-threading was a recommendation by Intel until the necessary patch was released.

"...can't be totally fixed..." A patch is released, and now that they are aware of it, the next gen of cpus comes with the fix already on the hardware itself.

To be honest with you I'm not sure if the 9900k contains all the fixes for current and future exploits at the hardware level.

That said a number of these sprectre like side channel attacks can be done via JavaScript meaning visiting a webpage could get you hacked. A lot of them require time and patience as the cache speculative lookup tables get hammered over and over again. And just because it gets hammered doesn't mean the bits will flip or in the right place. For it to be successful the side channel attack has to happen on a core running at ring 0 kernel.

All in all I think you are safe now however that may change when script kiddies get involved and get ahold of the POC

Future gen chips on the board will encrypt individual streams for each process. So even if code is injected it would turn to garbage once the instruction decrypt phase starts.

Reactions: askara
Solution

TRENDING THREADS