[SOLVED] Should I bother blowing dust out of this monitor?

Furzumz

Reputable
I got an old monitor from ~2009 (Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX) which has a open port on the back near the top to vent heat. Should I ever bother dusting this thing out as you would with a computer?

Last time I did it with an old monitor of the same model one of the backlights went out on me not long after so I'm wondering if I should just leave it be

Solution
Dust is never good, as it is both a thermal insulator and increases buildup of static electricity. However, flat panel displays tend to not generate as much heat and also do not use any high voltage, so they are not as liable to fail from static electricity (no flyback transformer) or heat. On the other hand, if you can gently blow out some dust, then I'd say do it. Just make sure it is unplugged and you've held the power button down a few seconds just to make sure any capacitors are discharged. If the monitor is on the edge of failing and a gentle dust removal makes it fail, then I'd say the monitor was going to die anyway.
Dust is never good, as it is both a thermal insulator and increases buildup of static electricity. However, flat panel displays tend to not generate as much heat and also do not use any high voltage, so they are not as liable to fail from static electricity (no flyback transformer) or heat. On the other hand, if you can gently blow out some dust, then I'd say do it. Just make sure it is unplugged and you've held the power button down a few seconds just to make sure any capacitors are discharged. If the monitor is on the edge of failing and a gentle dust removal makes it fail, then I'd say the monitor was going to die anyway.

Reactions: Furzumz
Solution