should i bother getting a sound card for a steelseries siberia v2?

atarisafari

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile seeing as I don't totally understand what would cause one to classify themselves as such, but I do enjoy rich quality sound while listening to music and playing video games. I care more about the rich sound for music than I do video games, though. Anyway, a few weeks ago I purchased a SteelSeries Siberia v2 and am reasonably happy with it but don't feel I'm getting the most out of it with my motherboard's onboard audio. Is it just that it's a lackluster headset or should i invest in a soundcard to enrich my experience?

What motherboard do you have?

This one is insane. http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-Essence-24-bit-192KHz-Interface/dp/B002UVME88/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1395094455&sr=1-15&keywords=24+channel+sound+card

This is the one that you currently have:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

Your current sound card looks pretty good to me! I don't know that you would see much of a difference even going with the Asus sound card that I posted above.

Have you tried an aftermarket sound mixer? You can usually download free trials of them before you buy them.

atarisafari

Honorable
May 21, 2013

i haven't, no, but i'll look into that. thanks.

if i ever went with higher quality headphones though like $200 or so i should probably pick up a soundcard, right?

Honestly, man....I don't think you'd notice the difference. You already have a high quality card in the one you have. Those aftermarket sound mixers can really help the sound of your system......whether it's for music, gaming or movies. If you REALLY wanted to go with another sound card, I'd go all out like with that 200 dollar card I posted above. If you will be able to tell a difference (and that's still a pretty big "if"), that's the only way you'll do it. I would only consider going that route if you are insanely particular with your sound and you just have money to burn.

I really like my Creative Sound Blaster Z over the on-board Realtek ALC892 from my Asus Z77 Sabertooth. Although my Creative Sound card is a PCI-E and NOT a PCI but then again given that the Asus Z77 Sabertooth does not have PCI slots that is a good thing. Personally I would not buy a PCI anything anymore they are really as out of date as Windows XP is. If you really want a sound card get a PCI-E version.

And as I said at least for me I can really tell the difference between the ALC892 and the Creative Sound Blaster Z. Sadly I still have to use the ALC892 with OS X 10.9.2 since it does not work with the Sound Blaster!