[SOLVED] Should I bother trying out my Trident Z 3000 in my new build?

TStevens

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
So I am upgrading. Going to an Intel z590 motherboard (ASROCK PRO 4) with an 11600k cpu are on the way. My current memory (4x8GB, Trident Z RGB) 3000 is not all that old. It isn't listed for the new MB on either GSkill or ASROCK.

I suspect they just might not have bothered to test this older ram as it is already a lot of effort to test out more recent ram. What do you think? Is there a chance it will be fine? Or should I go ahead and order up the new memory.
(If there is a decent chance I will wait and see first)
Thanks for your thoughts/experience!

Solution
It is always worth a try if you already have it. Chances are good, especially that it is not too fast RAM by today standards. Worst case scenario, if it does not work, your build will have few days delay when you will be waiting for new RAM to arrive.

TStevens

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hmm, after looking through the QVL list they have other Trident Z RGB that are very close (
Yeah, it'll work. Those QVLs are never reliable. I've only ever seen an incompatibility once, but so far have built 3 systems, none of which had the RAM kits on the QVL but they all still worked. G.Skill almost always works anyway.
Good to hear. Yeah, after looking closer the same exact model is there just with 16GB sticks. It probably wasn't tested as it has an "EOL" qualifier on the gskill site. It's worth a try top save $150 :)