Question Should I bother? Upgrade question

Aug 27, 2024
I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm going from AM4 to AM5, so it would be more than just a CPU upgrade. I'm wondering if it is worth the $600.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X on a B550 board, 32 gigs ram, 4070 ti. I don't need super powerful graphics except for one thing- I play MSFS 2020 just about every day, and there are three settings in the graphics settings of that game that are almost entirely CPU driven, and I get stutters when I turn them up. MSFS 2024 is coming soon.

I'm wondering, is it worth it to go to a 7800X3D with all the AM5 stuff? What do you think? The only other thing the computer is being used for really is some photoshop work occasionally, 3-5 videos per year.

I have only dabbled with FS. With task manager open it appears that all available threads are put to use.
The 5800X has 16 threads and a passmark rating of 28433.
That is when all threads are busy.
Upgrading to a 32 thread R9-5950x at a cost of some $350 might be easiest.
Passmark rating is 45859.

You might find a more definitive discussion on a FS forum.

Hey there,

Well, the biggest boost in MSFS are the x3d models. They do very well. You could just sell your 5800x and get a 5800x3d model, which will give you better overall gaming chops, but specifically MSFS. Given your other work, I don't think a whole platform jump is what you need.