Question Should I bother upgrading or save for new?

Jun 17, 2019
So I built a gaming computer years ago and then proceeded to barely use it. Now I'm gaming more and trying to determine if it's worth my time to buy upgrades that are compatible with my current motherboard or plan or just save up and replace.

Current Build:
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 970
GPU Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
SSD Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
RAM G.SKILL F3-8500CL7-4GBRL DDR3 2x4GB
MBD Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

So I could upgrade to 16 or 32GB of RAM. I could upgrade to a nicer video card.. I could even upgrade the processor, but I have a feeling it'd probably be best to save for a new build.

So do you think I can upgrade what I have and have a good ROI (get a few more years out of it)?
If so what would you upgrade?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New build. Platform is dead. You would be buying a significant amount of memory that you couldn't carry forward. Really isn't a better processor option that is worth it. Phenom II x6 is about it, or a FX83xx processor, which is weaker than the cheapest AMD quad core.

GTX660 Ti is roughly equivalent to a GTX1050Ti, which has itself been supplanted by the GTX1650, basic entry level gaming graphics of today.

You can always buy a faster GPU now and see how it goes, but in most recent games you will experience severe CPU limitations. However, if you only play lighter/older titles then you could crank up the graphics settings with no concern.

Reactions: Cr1203