Question Should I bother with an upgrade?

Arbiter1170

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Hi all.
Looking over my wife’s rig. She’s got a i5-76k. She’s big into games such as EU4 and CSGO. We’re working on my sons rig, but should I look into upgrading her CPU? I’m just a little nervous about taking apart the closed loop liquid cooler to set a new one. CPU is like 3 years old now I think, maybe even less.

Should I make the jump to i7 or is she good?

God bless

Neither of those games is particularly demanding in terms of multithreaded performance from what I know. Is she doing any recording or streaming while gaming? If so, then yes, the additional cores and the bump in clock speed from the 7700k might not be a bad idea. If she is a game-only type player, and doesn't have much else running in terms of additional processes, then I'd wait and maybe worry about a complete platform upgrade once you start feeling like it's not pulling it's weight anymore.

FWIW, that platform will be three years old in January.

Reactions: Arbiter1170

Arbiter1170

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Neither of those games is particularly demanding in terms of multithreaded performance from what I know. Is she doing any recording or streaming while gaming? If so, then yes, the additional cores and the bump in clock speed from the 7700k might not be a bad idea. If she is a game-only type player, and doesn't have much else running in terms of additional processes, then I'd wait and maybe worry about a complete platform upgrade once you start feeling like it's not pulling it's weight anymore.

FWIW, that platform will be three years old in January.
Yeah she’s just a single player gamer, no streaming. I’ll probably hold out for another year or two. Thank you for the advice!!