[SOLVED] Should I bother with the extra 4 pin connector + crashes after upgrading.

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I just upgraded from a 7th gen intel platform(i5 7600k, z170) to the AMD r5 5600x and an Asus x570F Gaming motherboard.
I knew about the 8+4 pin on the CPU for a while but does it actually make a difference?

Mainly why I'm asking is because since upgrading I have been getting instant crashes (well 2 crashes only but stuff like that spooks me), not even a blue screen, so maybe it is power-related?
The pc would shut off as if the power has been taken away, and restart straight away.
As you do when you upgrade you want to test out your new components. Opened cinebench r23 and probably 3 minutes passed and the crash happens. Tried again maybe 20 mins later, the same thing happened.
I went into windows event viewer to see what happened and this is what the error was.
View: https://imgur.com/a/wZfw6pI

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 1

EVENT ID: 18
Source: Whea Logger

Here are some things you should know, both the motherboard and CPU are second-hand, bought them on eBay so if faulty I can return them.
I have also installed a fresh copy of windows.
I have installed all drivers before running any benchmarks.
My specs are as followed.
R5 5600x
Asus x570 f gaming
16GB 2666mhz ddr4 (I know I will buy 3600mhz ram this week) Oh and mid writing this I forgot, I have 2x 4gb sticks at 2400mhz and 2x4gb sticks at 2666mhz, same manufacturer, XMP defaulted to 2666mhz.
RTX 2070 super
500GB nvme SSD
1TB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

I installed ryzen master, put on automatic oc, and ran cinebench for 20 mins and no crash at all, but this was after reinstalling all the chipset drivers.
If anyone had this sort of crash and error before what did you do to rectify? I may have fixed it with the drivers but don't want to jinx anything incase it happens again.
Also any advice with amd, would be great, first time going team red and i love it.
Anyways back to my original questions, put the 4 pin in or no?

Solution
Awesome, also is the AMD auto overclocker good or best to do it manually?
Don't even bother, honestly. Reset all changes made in Ryzen Master software and uninstall. Then enter BIOS and enable PBO. That's gonna get you darn close to the limit of what the CPU can offer without hours spent overclocking/benchmarking.