Question Should I build a 14th gen intel pc ?

RoskoBrown1

Reputable
Mar 21, 2019
So i am currently exploring the option of building a new 14th gen intel pc from scratch (the price is not an issue for me in this case either)

below are the current specs of my pc which i have had for quite some time.

Motherboard - MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU - I9 9900k
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken x63
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080 Super
RAM - 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200

I use my pc for gaming at 2k and a lot of VR although im wanting to upgrade to 4k
Some games i play include Call Of Duty, Arma,Cyberpunk and Pavlov VR

I was considering upgrading to the I9 14900k when it gets released and pairing that with a 4090 and fast DDR5 ram, to be able to play my games in 4k.
I have seen people saying it would be stupid to upgrade to LGA 1700 socket as its at the end of its life and it would be better to wait until 15th gen, which is why i am putting this question up would me upgrading to these new components benefit me or should i wait like a year until 15th gen ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Last edited:

RoskoBrown1

Reputable
Mar 21, 2019
When you speak of migrating to 14th Gen Intel, you mean to retain your PSU, case and storage options? If so, please mention them in your specs. As for your upgrade, what sort of a budget do you have to work with?

I would upgrade/get a new build if you're looking at 4K content consumption/creation.
Apologies for the lack of information, I will be upgrading everything, So basically a whole new pc build. As for the budget there isnt really one and im open to options.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The thing about waiting for the next thing, is you are always waiting. 15th gen desktop is at least a year out.

Not a terrible system. For 4K you could just try upgrading the GPU and PSU and see how it goes, than maybe waiting out the next CPU release might make more sense.

There is some value in getting an AM5 system now and then just upgrading the CPU as AMD releases new ones. With 14th gen, you would be getting the last CPU for the socket.

Just depends how often you feel the need to upgrade. 9th to 14th gen is a decent jump, and Intel will probably be onto the NEXT socket if you stick with that upgrade cadence. AM5 might have 3 or 4 generations in it as well.

So i am currently exploring the option of building a new 14th gen intel pc from scratch (the price is not an issue for me in this case either)

below are the current specs of my pc which i have had for quite some time.

Motherboard - MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU - I9 9900k
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken x63
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080 Super
RAM - 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200

I use my pc for gaming at 2k and a lot of VR although im wanting to upgrade to 4k
Some games i play include Call Of Duty, Arma,Cyberpunk and Pavlov VR

I was considering upgrading to the I9 14900k when it gets released and pairing that with a 4090 and fast DDR5 ram, to be able to play my games in 4k.
I have seen people saying it would be stupid to upgrade to LGA 1700 socket as its at the end of its life and it would be better to wait until 15th gen, which is why i am putting this question up would me upgrading to these new components benefit me or should i wait like a year until 15th gen ?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Wait for the reviews before making a decision.

Reactions: RoskoBrown1