[SOLVED] Should I build a PC without upgrading my GPU?

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi all!

My brother has had his PC for 5 years now and it's on its last legs sadly :( he has to have the side panel off and fans at 100% to stop any overheating etc (he needed to clean it more often I think)!

He wants to upgrade to a:
Ryzen 5 3600 (CM Hyper 212)
MSI B450
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200 CL16
Western Digital Blue 250GB M.2 SSD
EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold
275R Airflow

But keep his:
HDD
SSD
GPU

The problem is the 3060ti isnt in stock atm, or he might go with a 3060 when they are announced. He would thus like to upgrade everything else but continue to use his 1060 6GB for roughly 10-12 months until he is able to get a new GPU. Do you guys think this is a viable plan? He only does 1080p gaming atm, but is aiming for up to 144hz. This build without the GPU comes to £640 but he has a budget of £700, but would like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks guys!

Solution
Since you said your brother wants to aim at 1080p 144hz im gonna assume he is playing FPS like csgo,valorant,r6s,and battleroyales like warzone,fortnite,etc..,which are much more CPU intensive then GPU.So yeah,upgrading the CPU is the main goal in this upgrade.Everything in your list looks good,except i gotta ask,what exact msi motherboard is he gonna use?
Since you said your brother wants to aim at 1080p 144hz im gonna assume he is playing FPS like csgo,valorant,r6s,and battleroyales like warzone,fortnite,etc..,which are much more CPU intensive then GPU.So yeah,upgrading the CPU is the main goal in this upgrade.Everything in your list looks good,except i gotta ask,what exact msi motherboard is he gonna use?

Solution

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey!

Thank you so much for the reply!

Yeah he plays all of those and I think atm Albion Online is his main game:)

We're thinking of opting for this one: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...awk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
That mobo wont let you down,its one of the best B450 boards out there,and it has support for 5000 series cpu's,so if he wants to upgrade to that somewhere down the line,he doesnt have to switch the mobo out.
Fantastic! I feel like the 5000 series would be the only thing he would upgrade to and that wouldn't be for years! Thank you so much for the useful information:D

Reactions: Dj0gany