Should i build now, or later?

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Well, i've been wanting to build a computer for...the past 2 months now? And i've been asking my parents for the funding, and well, they agreed, so...

Now that the whole new DX11 cards are coming out, new CPU's, USB 3.0, im kind of confused if i should buy now, or later.

My origional build, i7, with 4890 in CF, so yeah, im not sure if i should buy a card that utilized DX11, or just stick with my 4890's.

So i thought i'd make a list of the pro's and con's, feel free to agree, disagree, and post any other comments influencing the subject

Pro's
-New CPU's! Which means new tech, im not sure what the new CPU's are gonna utilize though...(like the i5)
-DX11, play games on DX11, which will be supposedly better

i cant think of anything else, add on :]

Con's
-Malfunctions? With new stuff, theres always something to go wrong
-Costly, it'll cost more, probably...

Right, so, add on, whatever you wish
And i dont know what games actually utilize DX11, (crysis?), so thats another thing that'd be useful to know. Most of the games i plan on playing use DX10, but with DX11 youll be able to play DX10 also? o_O

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Well, yeah they did i guess. 2000$ it was, Which meant a whole new computer, Screen, mouse + keyboard (need everything new, the last computer my dad bought was back 7 years ago, tiny screen lol), im putting in like 600 also, but the budget it probably expandable, if i keep them waiting :p

But i really wanted to know the advantages of actually getting DX11, other than better graphics, performance. Dunno if its known, but would the DX11 cards perform better on DX10 games? (Than other DX10 cards)

And im wondering how long it would take for DX11 to settle in, im not sure when DX10 came around, and how long it took for some games started to come out for it.

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
DX11 isn't anything to get excited about IMO. Gaming DX10, as it stands, is only a huge performance hit with minimal graphical enhancements so I don't see how that will change with DX11.

Also, the new Lynnfield CPUs that are coming out later this year are mid-range and lower-end chips...They won't be able to hold a candle to any i7 on LGA1366, which is exclusively high-end performance and server CPUs.

I really don't see the point in waiting for the newer tech that's coming out later this year.
That's just my $0.02 though.

Ny88rican

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I think you are all confused on what he is saying. His "original build" is just his idea right now with the i7. Should he stick with that or wait until i5 and newer tech. That is how I interpreted it

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009

Edited original post.
I think he should stick with what he's planning, a i7 setup with CF'ed 4890's.
That's a pretty nice setup, with plenty to spare for a kick-ass display and good quality gaming mouse + key.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

when i said that i meant the i7 was gonna be a part of my new build, sorry

im just really excited about building for the first time, lol, thats why im so anticipated x.x