Should I buy a 1080 ti or wait for the 1180?

Feb 25, 2018
Like the title says.

I’ve been waiting for a while now and am honestly kind of done with it.
I’m really looking forward to building it and really don’t want to wait anymore if not necessary.

A 1080 ti should have more than enough power for a good while. I just don’t want to see that if I buy it ray tracing becomes a big thing and that my purchase would be useless. The prices for a 1080 ti where I live are beyond amazing, but if ray tracing takes over and my gpu will become useless it’s still a huge waste of money.

What do you guys think, do I buy a 1080 ti with the current prices, or hold on a while longer and wait for the 1180 release?

For me the decession would be made if I can be sure the 1080 ti won’t be useless due to ray tracing.

Solution
Its not going to end up useless for a long while yet.

When gpus are released with new features or tech, it generally takes a long while for it to be coded for.

A good example of this is when the first Geforce 256 came out, it was the first GPU to support hardware T&L. At the time there werent really any games to support it, and by they time the games came out that used it well, the Geforce 256 was well out of date.

The moral of the story is that a fancy new feature is a great thing, but it will probably be a few generations before its heavily used.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Its not going to end up useless for a long while yet.

When gpus are released with new features or tech, it generally takes a long while for it to be coded for.

A good example of this is when the first Geforce 256 came out, it was the first GPU to support hardware T&L. At the time there werent really any games to support it, and by they time the games came out that used it well, the Geforce 256 was well out of date.

The moral of the story is that a fancy new feature is a great thing, but it will probably be a few generations before its heavily used.

Solution
also stuff like ray tracing will be very expensive on performance. for games to properly use them we might need a GPU that coming out a few generations after that with more efficient processing (remember tessellation?). even if you wait until new generation GPU comes out buying 1080ti at much cheaper price might not be a bad idea either.

I agree.
I get the feeling that ray tracing will be more of a marketing gimmick on this next generation of GPUs. If they include it at all.
It will be very limited on the 11XX series due to the incredibly demanding nature of performing real-time ray tracing.
Best time to pick up a 1080 Ti will be when the 1180 launches.