Question Should I buy a 1080ti in 2022?

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I’m building a computer and found a 1080ti asus strix on Craigslist he listed it for 500$ but I talked him down to 150$ So I’m wondering if it’s worth buying a 1080 ti for 150$ in 2022

Cpu is a 5600x

DSzymborski

Titan
I’m building a computer and found a 1080ti asus strix on Craigslist he listed it for 500$ but I talked him down to 150$ So I’m wondering if it’s worth buying a 1080 ti for 150$ in 2022

Cpu is a 5600x

If it actually works and you have an appropriate PSU, it's about as powerful as a 3060 Ti, though it will stop getting driver support before the 3060 Ti does.

Is a Gpu pretty much useless for new games after it stops getting driver support?
No not really, I mean there might be a game or 2 that might have issues if they stop supporting it and its usually them cards thats so old anyway that could hardly run it, but 1080ti will still have support for a long time, Nvidia ended driver support for the Kepler stuff because their drivers were getting massive, I got a family member that still has a 780ti and it still plays games, some of them newer that its capable of anyway. The 1080ti is still vary capable and Nvidia would criple driver support for it anytime soon as there are still many people running Pascal cards.

Plus $150 bucks? You sweet talk the guy or something? Thats a darn good deal honestly, and shocked he dropped from $500.

Reactions: kaib

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Yeah just got lucky I guess
I found a another Gpu on Craigslist it’s the 5700xt XFX triple dissipation I could probably get it for 150$ or 200$
Would that be a better option since it’s newer ?

If it actually works and you have an appropriate PSU, it's about as powerful as a 3060 Ti, though it will stop getting driver support before the 3060 Ti does.
I think the 1080 TI is closer to a 2070 Super if I'm remembering the benchmarks correctly. Somewhere between a 2070/3060 and 2070 super. If that is true that would be like 25-30% difference in performance from a 3060 TI

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Where I live a lot of people lowball so people up the price to compensate for that. Wouldn’t the 5700xt be better for future proofing because it has newer architecture?

Where I live a lot of people lowball so people up the price to compensate for that. Wouldn’t the 5700xt be better for future proofing because it has newer architecture?

Not really, they both provide a good experience, me personally I'd take the older 1080ti card for the additional ram.
However as the RDNA part is likely to continue to get better with driver improvements.
the 1080ti is still holding strong with Brute force and it will continue to do so... it was so powerful it made the 20 series almost pointless

You wont go wrong with either card.

Last edited:
The 5700xt did get a good performance bump in dx 11 titles recently with drivers, but the 1080ti is still faster, the 5700xt could match the 1080ti if not gain a little ground with overclocking but thats luck of the draw really, the 5700xt was around a 1080 non ti performance when it was new, I'd definitely get the 1080ti, more vram, its faster out of the box. I love AMD, but Nvidia's capture software is much better than AMD's crap if thats your thing, AMD's works good, but you can't play in a window and have it record the last few min of gameplay, it only works in fullscreen, or the audio capture issues, you pretty much always have to use other recording software.

Good Luck!

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Thanks. I have one more thing. the owner of the 5700xt says it’s about 1 year old and the 1080ti owner says it’s about 4 year’s old Is this a concern?

Last edited:

TamLin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
www.medialinked.pl

Cpu is a 5600x
Without getting into much detail.. Personally I would say "yes". But it all depends what you want to use it for.
I got GTX 1070Ti some time ago. I'm using it for photo and video editing professionally. Tested it in few new games and it was pulling exceptionally well.

Thanks. I have one more thing. the owner of the 5700xt says it’s about 1 year old and the 1080ti owner says it’s about 4 year’s old Is this a concern?

If the card is clean and looks like it was taken care of, I wouldn't have an issue buying a 4 year old card, if it was still packed with dust and fans hardly spin and its been beat around, then it'll have to be a real good price for me to consider it.

Also what 5700xt is it? I know my Asus strix 5700xt had issues with the cooler contacting the VRM's, I got it RMA'd and the "fixed" card also had the same freakin issue, my first card would work fine and then crash after so long of throttling, the replacement one I never even powered it on but Asus denied me another RMA despite video proof, so I ended up using washers to fill int he gap of the too long of screws Asus used and it worked great.

So if its the Asus Strix 5700xt I'd probably avoid it unless you willing to take a card that its vrms have been beat up with heat and willing to do the simple mod to fix it if its not fixed already.

Age doesn't bother me, I mean I build and sell older PC's as it is, as long as it doesn't look to beat up, it should be fine, and maybe ask if you can see it running first, at most you'd probably have to do is dust it out a little and maybe replace thermal paste if temps are a bit high.

Good luck!

The 5700xt did get a good performance bump in dx 11 titles recently with drivers, but the 1080ti is still faster, the 5700xt could match the 1080ti if not gain a little ground with overclocking but thats luck of the draw really, the 5700xt was around a 1080 non ti performance when it was new, I'd definitely get the 1080ti, more vram, its faster out of the box. I love AMD, but Nvidia's capture software is much better than AMD's crap if thats your thing, AMD's works good, but you can't play in a window and have it record the last few min of gameplay, it only works in fullscreen, or the audio capture issues, you pretty much always have to use other recording software.

Good Luck!
Im thinking the 5700xt will surpass it in a year or two. 7970 just got a driver update, gg AMD

Reactions: Viking2121