Question Should i buy a 1TB SSD or a small SSD + large HDD ?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
hi
spec:
MB:asus B450m-a
ram: 2*8gb corsair lpx 3600mhz
gpu: igpu of ryzen 3400g: vega 11
cpu: ryzen 3400g
psu: 330w
storage (current): 500gb WD green

i'm low on storage so i'm looking forward to add storage to my pc, i used to play games a lot but now not much, only really good games like God Of War or NBA or Fifa or RDR2 ...
my pc runs hot as i use stock cooler of cpu and OCed something with ram controller of cpu to make it work with ram running at 3433Mhz (in AMD website is said that ryzen 3400g only supports up to 2933Mhz ram) , so i THINK that maybe SSD is better than M.2 due to heat made by M.2 comparing to SSDs, i'm not sure!

ok, i have 2 options, help me:

A. WD SN570 1TB for 3200# which is M.2 (# is currency unit in my country, just don't care about that i didn't feel to change it to $)
B. WD Blue HDD 2TB for 2000# + Crucial MX500 250GB for 1000# which is a SSD = 3000# totally (SSD for windows installing so my pc wouldn't be slow like now)

as i said my usage is just playing some games and that, i don't do anything special, just normal things like surfing the internet and using Chrome most of the time for that or microsoft edge.

thank you for your help

Lutfij

Titan
That's an odd wattage for a unit. What is the make and model of the unit? Also, how old is it?

As for your initial question,
Since you didn't state currency conversions nor where you're located(for ease of suggestions), I'd side with the option to have OS, app's and launchers on a small'ish sized SSD. Then the larger drives can be either an SSD or an HDD. Games being on an SSD would help with faster level loading times. One large SSD tends to end up being nuked in the event when you try to reinstall the OS(and you remove other partitions by mistake. I tend to have one SSD as one partition.

Is that an HDD or an SSD?

+
as i use stock cooler of cpu and OCed something with ram controller of cpu to make it work with ram running at 3433Mhz (in AMD website is said that ryzen 3400g only supports up to 2933Mhz ram)
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What case are you working with and how is the airflow configured in your chassis? Ambient room air temps?

Reactions: troyer1234567
I'd vote for A....................unless you in fact need 2 TB storage.

There's not much point in HDD unless forced to it by budget.

Don't know where you are, but a 2 TB WD SN570 may not cost a lot more than a 1 TB? If you need 2 TB at all.

I wouldn't worry about heat generated by gen 3 NVMe drives.

The MX500 and the WD Blue HDD are good options in their categories if you are forced to use an HDD at all.

Or maybe just look for a standard 2.5 inch SATA MX500 of 2 TB capacity?

The only advantage of a HDD is the cost per gb.
SSD is faster,quieter, and more reliable.
It is 30x faster in random I/O and 3-6x faster sequentially.
If you can afford it, buy a single large ssd for your needs and put all you can on it.

Heat for a m.2 format is only generated during long sequential activity with a pcie device. Like perhaps a long virus scan.
Even then, if the unit gets too hot, it will simply slow down for a while.

Do not chase synthetic sequential performance benchmarks.
The reality is that a sata ssd, or a pcie ssd will perform equally well.

These experts could not tell the difference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
That's an odd wattage for a unit. What is the make and model of the unit? Also, how old is it?

As for your initial question,
Since you didn't state currency conversions nor where you're located(for ease of suggestions), I'd side with the option to have OS, app's and launchers on a small'ish sized SSD. Then the larger drives can be either an SSD or an HDD. Games being on an SSD would help with faster level loading times. One large SSD tends to end up being nuked in the event when you try to reinstall the OS(and you remove other partitions by mistake. I tend to have one SSD as one partition.

Is that an HDD or an SSD?

+
as i use stock cooler of cpu and OCed something with ram controller of cpu to make it work with ram running at 3433Mhz (in AMD website is said that ryzen 3400g only supports up to 2933Mhz ram)
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What case are you working with and how is the airflow configured in your chassis? Ambient room air temps?
Green, I don't know about the exact model, it's about 10 years old

Nope I won't get wrong and format other partitions while reinstalling os

Wd green 500gb HDD

The latest bios , Viera for the case, and airflow is just based on the stock cooler and a normal small simple fan at the back of my case to get the heat out of it, i don't know if it's efficient at all, just bought it cuz it was 50# so it was too cheap, average room's air temp is about. 37° in summer and 20° in winter i guess! The cpu always run about 50-57° in normal usage and 60-70° in game experiences, if it gets to 75°, exactly in that moment the pc freezes so i have to restart it buy pushing the restart button on the case

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I'd vote for A....................unless you in fact need 2 TB storage.

There's not much point in HDD unless forced to it by budget.

Don't know where you are, but a 2 TB WD SN570 may not cost a lot more than a 1 TB? If you need 2 TB at all.

I wouldn't worry about heat generated by gen 3 NVMe drives.

The MX500 and the WD Blue HDD are good options in their categories if you are forced to use an HDD at all.

Or maybe just look for a standard 2.5 inch SATA MX500 of 2 TB capacity?
I can't afford to buy 2tb ssd unless it's a cheap ssd like bx500 or adata 630

Yeah, my problem is that I don't know whether i need 1 tb speed or 250gb speed + 2tb storage...

Can u help me to make a decision?

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
The only advantage of a HDD is the cost per gb.
SSD is faster,quieter, and more reliable.
It is 30x faster in random I/O and 3-6x faster sequentially.
If you can afford it, buy a single large ssd for your needs and put all you can on it.

Heat for a m.2 format is only generated during long sequential activity with a pcie device. Like perhaps a long virus scan.
Even then, if the unit gets too hot, it will simply slow down for a while.

Do not chase synthetic sequential performance benchmarks.
The reality is that a sata ssd, or a pcie ssd will perform equally well.

These experts could not tell the difference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA
Thanks for your explanation, so, do i need the ssd or hdd? I really don't know that
I've heard that HDDs are done, their age is passed and shouldn't rely on them anymore, but I don't know if i really need ssd or not...

Yeah, my problem is that I don't know whether i need 1 tb speed or 250gb speed + 2tb storage...

Can u help me to make a decision?

It's up to you decide how much storage you need. You know better than anyone else. No one here knows.

If you cannot answer that, you are stuck in indecision.

Windows alone takes maybe 30 GB.

I would NOT use HDDs at all unless forced by budget. If you need 2 TB storage, then obviously you buy a 250 gb SSD and the 2 TB HDD.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
It's up to you decide how much storage you need. You know better than anyone else. No one here knows.

If you cannot answer that, you are stuck in indecision.

Windows alone takes maybe 30 GB.

I would NOT use HDDs at all unless forced by budget. If you need 2 TB storage, then obviously you buy a 250 gb SSD and the 2 TB HDD.
If we only install windows and softwares on ssd to get better speed (in my case would be totally 150gb), then why do you think a person might need the rest of a ssd space?

USAFRet

Titan
How can i find out how much space do i need (soooo ridiculous question but i have no idea)
No, not even you, can know how much space you might need in the future.

Maybe your uses will change. Go from gamer, to collector of old movies.
Or you get a motorcycle, and record/edit a lot of GoPro video.

The thing is though....more storage space is easy. A couple of cables, mount it in the case, done.

I would get the 1TB SSD now, and add others later.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
No, not even you, can know how much space you might need in the future.

Maybe your uses will change. Go from gamer, to collector of old movies.
Or you get a motorcycle, and record/edit a lot of GoPro video.

The thing is though....more storage space is easy. A couple of cables, mount it in the case, done.

I would get the 1TB SSD now, and add others later.
Alright, thank you

TRENDING THREADS