Should I buy a 4K monitor?

Afro Nubs

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Ok so I have yet to even build my new gaming pc, and I probably wont buy the monitor for like a month along with the rest of my build. but I was wondering if it would be worth buying a single 4k monitor and a 1440p or 1080p monitor. Or should I buy 3 smaller resolution monitors and set them up in an eyefinity/surround configuration

I will either be going with either of these 2 options unless you can refer me to a better combination

Monitor: Samsung S27C230B 27.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)

or

Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor ($270.93 @ Amazon)

Either way I will have about $850ish to spend and I will want if triple monitor set up 3x27" monitors and if I go with the 4K monitor I do want a 27" or greater with a 26" or greater monitor with smaller resolution(preferably 1440p, but even the one I picked was only a 1080p monitor). Also are these good set ups? If not, could you recommend a better one?

Solution
I'd go the 3 monitor, 4k isn't really mainstream yet, wait a year or so for the monitors to become cheaper, and eyefinity will make it look better too, but i all depends on what you need really, personal opinion, if I say 3 monitors, you might get it and not like it, vice versa for 4k monitor too, just go with what you feel like is best foryou

Afro Nubs

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I haven't bought one yet. I'm going to buy everything at the end of the month. But at that point I will go with what ever card that is needed to support the monitor configuration chosen. Either way I will most likely go with a 290x or 295x2 and if I go with the 295x2 then I will get an active adapter to run eyefinity. I may go with a 780ti but I know more about AMD because the computer shop I work at specializes in AMD, which is why I prefer them. Would a Nvidia card be better suited?

I'd go the 3 monitor, 4k isn't really mainstream yet, wait a year or so for the monitors to become cheaper, and eyefinity will make it look better too, but i all depends on what you need really, personal opinion, if I say 3 monitors, you might get it and not like it, vice versa for 4k monitor too, just go with what you feel like is best foryou

Solution

Afro Nubs

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Well I was just saying a 4k because some of my friends say it looks awesome when gaming, and I personally have used a triple monitor set up before and loved it. Plus with the 4k, it's mainly the hype that go to me. which is why I was asking, to get other people's opinions on the matter

not a lot of software supports it now. it's catching up. but the games might look a little better ( extra lines on monitor ) but games that actually are supported ( natively ) will look awesome.

ever think about an ips monitor?

another thing............. higher res the monitor ........... smaller the print is.

They're not going to be gaming though, you are, other people's opinion on what screen you should go for won't affect you, but if someone convinced you to go 4k, you'd only be getting it because a stranger told you to, nevertheless,
I'd go for 3 monitor, cheaper by a bit as a sli 900 series should handle it, and more practical

Afro Nubs

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

I personally choose not to use ips panels for gaming. yeah the color is better but at the cost of that buttery smooth gameplay

Afro Nubs

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

I understand that other peoples opinions wont directly effect me, but I would still like to know if anyone had any objections based on personal experience. I wouldnt end up buying the monitor until after I tested out the configuration. If necessary I could just set up my pc to a monitor at my work and test it out there before I order my personal screens. and you say the sli the 900 series, but they wont be out by the end of the month will they?

then you want a 120Hz monitor or better.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Also, 4k is overkill. With a 27" monitor all it will do it makes fonts and things harder to read considering how close and small the pixels would have to be. If you are watching a 42" 4k screen or larger it will likely be visibly different, but leave it to the TV's not the monitors.