[SOLVED] Should I buy a 5600 XT now or wait for 6000 series?

DukeChangWang

Honorable
May 18, 2015
So I currently have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8gb that I'm thinking about selling so that later on I can buy a new graphics card since I have a 144hz monitor and I'm not getting the steadiest of 144 frames in most games that I've been playing. I don't really have a budget as of now, just looking to spend maybe around 300 more or less and I prefer AMD since my monitor has freesync. Do you guys think I should wait till the 6000 series comes out or do you think I might as well bite the bullet and buy a 5600 XT now for around 280? I'm not sure if I'll really be using ray tracing if they do end up having it, and I'm not sure if any of the new cards will even be accessible from my price range. I'm completely open to discussion! Thanks!

Solution
I'd wait for the 6000 series. The reason for this is that an RX 580 8GB is a very capable card and even if you can't hit 144 FPS, it shouldn't kill you to wait 2 months. The cost of the 5000 series should drop(maybe just a little), right before RDNA2 drops, so maybe that's the time to buy, regardless of whether you get 5000 or 6000. Just keep in mind that production of the 5000 series will stop in anitcipation of RDNA2, so after RDNA2s release, prices of 5000 series may start to rise back up(assuming there is an RDNA2 chip in the same price range as the 5600 XT).

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I'd wait for the 6000 series. The reason for this is that an RX 580 8GB is a very capable card and even if you can't hit 144 FPS, it shouldn't kill you to wait 2 months. The cost of the 5000 series should drop(maybe just a little), right before RDNA2 drops, so maybe that's the time to buy, regardless of whether you get 5000 or 6000. Just keep in mind that production of the 5000 series will stop in anitcipation of RDNA2, so after RDNA2s release, prices of 5000 series may start to rise back up(assuming there is an RDNA2 chip in the same price range as the 5600 XT).

Solution
Keep in mind nvidia does now work with freesync. So you can look at those cards if you are interested. I think that also the AMD cards may very well have ray tracing. The new consoles will have that capability. I think they are AMD 8 core CPUs and graphics, so they'll probably have it.

While I understand what he's saying, you can now turn on gsync on a freesync monitor. So no need to be limited to only amd gpus. See below. I personally have a freesync monitor and use an nvidia card with it, unless I'm playing on my tv.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
While I understand what he's saying, you can now turn on gsync on a freesync monitor. So no need to be limited to only amd gpus. See below. I personally have a freesync monitor and use an nvidia card with it, unless I'm playing on my tv.

Ok then. Also RDNA2 seems to be very powerful. Keep an eye on the news, the GPU market could go up or down based on it.