Should I buy a better cooler?

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hey guys, I plan on replacing my beloved Pentium 4 rig with a more modern Pentium based config, either with a G860 or a Haswell based Pentium of a similar clockspeed, and I was just gonna ask, should I keep the stock cooler, or a buy a better one? I want the best cooling possible, but I don't know how well the stock cooler is with the Pentium - I know it's garbage with lets say, a 3570K, but it maybe different with something like the G860 or the G630. Any advice would be appreciated, SUPER excited to be replacing my P4 setup with another Pentium to keep the legend alive. :D

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Brett, it is a retail CPU I'm getting xD Not the question I was asking - I was asking if I should use the heatsink & fan with the Pentium, or buy a better one - I don't know how well the stock one cools the Pentium.

Hi :)

Use the stock cooler as long as NO overclocking ...

All the best Brett :)

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Well I wanna get the best temps possible, just because I wanna make this upgrade a memorable one - my P4 is a Prescott so it gets very hot, I wanna see very low temps for load on my new Pentium set up.

Hi :)

Take my word you wont get a Prescott to run cool...not ever lol...

That was the reason that Intel stopped increasing their speed past 3600...they just COULDN'T keep them cool lol...

All the best Brett :)