[SOLVED] Should I buy a budget Motherboard?

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hey.

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC, I've got an i7-3770 which I'm going to replace with a Ryzen 5 3600 and of course I'm going to get a new motherboard and ram

The question is, should I go for the 100$ branded gaming one's if I don't care about OC'ing my CPU and 7.1 surround sound I guess. I just want some USB 3.0 ports and a M.2 slot (however I will do a XMP overclock on the RAM)

These are the Mobo's that I'm keeping my eye on for now (sub 50-80 euros)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (heard positive things, however the bios might be a problem?)

Asus Prime A320M-K

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max (Haven't heard good things about MSI motherboards however this one seems to have positive reviews)

Asrock B450M-Pro4

I want a good quality motherboard that will last me as long me many years, like the one I have which costed 50$ back in 2013

CPU: I7-3770 non k > will change to Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 8GB > Will upgrade to 16
2 HDD's
1 SSD
PSU:Corsair VS550 (I know it's a faulty PSU, however it's fine for now)
Motherboard:ASUS P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0

Solution
Hey.

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC, I've got an i7-3770 which I'm going to replace with a Ryzen 5 3600 and of course I'm going to get a new motherboard and ram

The question is, should I go for the 100$ branded gaming one's if I don't care about OC'ing my CPU and 7.1 surround sound I guess. I just want some USB 3.0 ports and a M.2 slot (however I will do a XMP overclock on the RAM)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (heard positive things, however the bios might be a problem?)

Asus Prime A320M-K

MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max (Haven't heard good things about MSI motherboards however this one seems to have positive reviews)

Asrock B450M-Pro4

I want a good quality...
Hey.

Asus Prime A320M-K

Asrock B450M-Pro4

I want a good quality motherboard that will last me as long me many years, like the one I have which costed 50$ back in 2013

CPU: I7-3770 non k > will change to Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 8GB > Will upgrade to 16
2 HDD's
1 SSD
PSU:Corsair VS550 (I know it's a faulty PSU, however it's fine for now)
Motherboard:ASUS P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0
That motherboard seems like a nice one. it should be able to support that cpu according to this : https://www.gigabyte.com/si/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

AAAAAAH faulty PSU??!??!? REPLACE ITTTTTT.

Solution
It doesn't really matter what brand you choose, because you can have "bad luck" with any of it. And opposite, any of brands you listed above can serve you for many, many years. In short, it's your personal decision that depends on what you get for money, i.e.:
-full size ATX or miniATX board (depends on your preferences and PC case),
-how many usable ports are in the back IO plate (video outputs are useless for most recent AMD CPU's anyway)
-how many fan headers motherboard has (Gigabyte B450M DS3H has only 2!),
-if you need/wish USB-C connector (also on front panel?), etc. etc.

Anyway, considering budget, you should get either B450 or X470 motherboard, because older 300 series motherboards (chipset) don't support newest 5000 series AMD CPU's anymore (in case you wish to upgrade CPU in few years). Btw. I have MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max and I'm very happy with my decision.

And finally, as PrinceTexasLoaf said (above)... are you serious? You know PSU is faulty and you still plan to use it? Well, whatever happens, don't blame mobo brand then.