[SOLVED] Should I buy a delided CPU + Some Questions...

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Is it safe to buy a delidded CPU ?

Some questions:

(1) Should I apply Liquid Metal or a good thermal paste on the CPU? which type of LM or Thermal paste ?

(2) Should I glue the IHS to the CPU or should I just place the IHS over the CPU and use the motherboard's clip to hold the CPU+IHS in place ?

Last edited:
Solution
Buy? idk, I wouldn't do it, could be binned for the worse. If I were to buy one I'd like to see it in action and make sure that's the chip I'm getting in hand. No videos or pics, IRL.

There's no way to tell if it's safe or not, it all depends on the seller.
Other than that you can simply delid your own chip and apply paste if you don't feel confident with lm or don't want an extreme oc. If it's a 7th/8th gen intel then delidding will definitely improve temps even if you don't go for lm

There are tools and easy kits for newbs you can use
I've always used a razor blade though, but you've gotta be precise with it. friend of mine tried to do it and he ended up cutting through half of the tiny surface components and a decent chunk of his...

USAFRet

Titan
Is it safe to buy a delidded CPU ?

Some questions:

(1) Should I apply Liquid Metal or a good thermal paste underneath the IHS ? which type of LM or Thermal paste ?

(2) Should I glue the IHS to the CPU or should I just place the IHS over the CPU and use the motherboard's clip to hold the CPU+IHS in place ?
Do you know WHY you're buying a delid?
Do you know what it will do for you?
Do you know how the seller treated it?
Do you know how to put it back together? (seems not)

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I found a good deal somewhere ?

To bring temps down...I ultimately want to OC the CPU?

Do you know how the seller treated it?
No.

Do you know how to put it back together?
Kind of, Apply thermal paste or LM on the CPU(by underneath the IHS I meant on the CPU), put the CPU+IHS into the MB socket and use the clip to hold them in place ?

USAFRet

Titan
To bring temps down...I ultimately want to OC the CPU?
In the context of overclocking, a delid is the LAST thing you should do.

If you've done any OC properly (slowly, methodically)
and IF you've exhausted all actual cooling solutions
and IF it is on the ragged edge of voltage
and IF it is actually thermal throttling....

Then Maybe.

'lower temps' is not necessarily a goal to chase.

I found a good deal somewhere ?
And maybe the seller is getting rid of that one because it cannot reach his magical OC numbers, no matter what he does to it.

What specifically are you looking for with the OC?
Big bragging numbers?
Or better performance in <whatever>?

Not necessarily the same thing.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
And maybe the seller is getting rid of that one because it cannot reach his magical OC numbers, no matter what he does to it.
Besides that, is it safe to buy a delidded CPU ?

What specifically are you looking for with the OC?
Big bragging numbers?
Or better performance in <whatever>?

I just feel better when I bring my temps down, Why shouldn't I do it when I can, when it is fun, when it is easy and when it can ultimately help with OCing ?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Buy? idk, I wouldn't do it, could be binned for the worse. If I were to buy one I'd like to see it in action and make sure that's the chip I'm getting in hand. No videos or pics, IRL.

There's no way to tell if it's safe or not, it all depends on the seller.
Other than that you can simply delid your own chip and apply paste if you don't feel confident with lm or don't want an extreme oc. If it's a 7th/8th gen intel then delidding will definitely improve temps even if you don't go for lm

There are tools and easy kits for newbs you can use
I've always used a razor blade though, but you've gotta be precise with it. friend of mine tried to do it and he ended up cutting through half of the tiny surface components and a decent chunk of his hand, and that's why kits exist

no need to glue the IHS back unless you're swapping chips a lot to try out boards or different configs.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS