Question Should I buy a Google Pixel 6 Pro because of its strong security rating? How much more security would I get?

May 6, 2022
I am trying to decide between the Google Pixel 6 Pro vs the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
Device security is very important to me, so much so that it could be the deciding factor for me with this choice.
I'm very paranoid about malware and hacks that could steal passwords, implant keyloggers, hack 2fa, etc that
could compromise sensitive accounts.

As a result I've convinced myself that I should prioritize devices like the Google Pixel 6 Pro because of its new
advanced security architecture (Titan, Tensor System on a Chip, etc) because it's so highly rated in terms of security.

I'm not 100% happy with this though because I think I prefer the features of the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
So I'm facing a sort of dilemma:
  • Do I pick the Samsung S22 Ultra for my preferred features, but feel guilty (and nervous) because I've chosen a phone with "weaker" security?
  • Do I do the responsible thing and pick the Google Pixel 6 Pro because of its high security rating for more peace of mind?
How much more security would I be getting from the Pixel 6 Pro?

** For some context I was influenced by a video on youtube describing the Pixel's security strenghts;
you can find it by searching for a video called "Most Secure Phone 2022 | DeGoogle Your Phone | Google Pixel 6 (GP6)")

My primary concern is malicious code that can find its way onto a smartphone by being packaged inside (seemingly) safe
apps downloaded from the Play Store, or from file downloads, or from using the phone's chrome web browser and visiting
a website that downloads malware onto the phone. The code could be a keylogger or password stealer or some type of 2FA hack.

D

Deleted member 362816

If you are that worried you would have to use hardware encryption like a yubikey 5 nfc.

Android is Android no matter what flagship phone you buy.

Unless you are a target because of where you work etc standard security should be fine.

I am trying to decide between the Google Pixel 6 Pro vs the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
Device security is very important to me, so much so that it could be the deciding factor for me with this choice.
I'm very paranoid about malware and hacks that could steal passwords, implant keyloggers, hack 2fa, etc that
could compromise sensitive accounts.

As a result I've convinced myself that I should prioritize devices like the Google Pixel 6 Pro because of its new
advanced security architecture (Titan, Tensor System on a Chip, etc) because it's so highly rated in terms of security.

I'm not 100% happy with this though because I think I prefer the features of the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
So I'm facing a sort of dilemma:
  • Do I pick the Samsung S22 Ultra for my preferred features, but feel guilty (and nervous) because I've chosen a phone with "weaker" security?
  • Do I do the responsible thing and pick the Google Pixel 6 Pro because of its high security rating for more peace of mind?
How much more security would I be getting from the Pixel 6 Pro?

** For some context I was influenced by a video on youtube describing the Pixel's security strenghts;
you can find it by searching for a video called "Most Secure Phone 2022 | DeGoogle Your Phone | Google Pixel 6 (GP6)")

My primary concern is malicious code that can find its way onto a smartphone by being packaged inside (seemingly) safe
apps downloaded from the Play Store, or from file downloads, or from using the phone's chrome web browser and visiting
a website that downloads malware onto the phone. The code could be a keylogger or password stealer or some type of 2FA hack.

My wife loves her Pixel 6, especially for it's cameras. It's the best camera phone she's ever owned.

Far as security, google's phones are always the first to get the updates, and on a regular basis (usually monthly) for 3+ years. Security updates are to last 5 years. So you might not get the latest OS, but you'll get updates for security. As to how effective the new AI chip is at detecting malware is questionable.

While Google prominently announced during its Tuesday keynote that the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro would get five years of security updates — two years more! — it seems that Android version updates (like Android 11, Android 12, etc) are another story. And though Google is technically saying it will offer new versions of Android until “at least” October 2024, the company hasn’t historically gone above and beyond those sorts of promises.

Aside from a random utube video, what makes this particular phone more secure than another one?

Mainly it's Titan chip, but also using AI to detect fuzzy logic patterns typically used by malware. Malware often repeats itself, with subtle variations to avoid detection of typical signature matching algs. So AI can detect these easier than just regular signatures. If it's anything like other malware detection engines, it will phone home a suspected sample and ask for a more detailed analysis. So your phone becomes part of a network of phones all submitting samples for analysis. So you might be the first victim, but you will be the last victim of said malware.

Here's all the ways Google Pixel 6 boosts your security and privacy | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)