should I buy a high end monitor for gaming?

damius

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Hello guys, my name is DJ and I am new to the community. I am planning to build a gaming rig with r9 280x gpu and an i5-4690k cpu. Do I need to buy a high-end led monitors for gaming?
Am I good to go with a 100$ led monitor?

Also, I am quite confused about the 60hz and 120hz monitor refresh rate. Which is better?

Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
120hz is better, but that doesnt mean you need it. Specially with a 280x.
If you want to play at 120 fps, you need a. Very high end gpu, maybe 2. and b. a 120 hz monitor.
Maybe you will need a little more than $100. But you will be fine.

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
No, people go nuts about response times and Ultra HD, you are fine without that jazz that have very little impact on you playing whatever game, just get something 60Hz and you'll be fine.
120 means it updates the screen 120 times per second, I think you are fine with 60HZ, some people might disagree.

nucolos

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
120hz is better, but that doesnt mean you need it. Specially with a 280x.
If you want to play at 120 fps, you need a. Very high end gpu, maybe 2. and b. a 120 hz monitor.
Maybe you will need a little more than $100. But you will be fine.

Solution

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Think of it this way. You invest a lot of money in your rig to have a great gaming experience right? There is no reason to have all these high dollar internal parts if you skimp on a monitor, if wont really have your rig shine and show of the parts you invested in. You wouldnt buy a Ferrari and then put Prius tires on it would you?

As far as the refresh rates go 120hz would be considered better than 60hz, it will make your gaming smoother especially in fast paced games. It really depends on what type of games you are playing, but games like BF4, COD, CS:GO, and racing games will benefit more from a higher refresh rate monitor.

My advice would be to invest into a quality monitor to make your system shine, the monitor will possibly last the next 7-10 years if not more. So why not spend a little more, if you are able to?