should I buy a new CPU and Motherboard, or just a CPU?

BigMurrz

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
I want to upgrade my PC's CPU. I currently have an AMD A6-7400K with a A68GM GRENADE motherboard. Should I upgrade to the Athlon X4 845, or should i upgrade to a FX-6300 with a GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard. I'm trying to stick to a £100 budget as well. If you have any other solution feel free to post them below.
Thanks, Connor.

Solution
I know for a fact that the FX-6300 will play modern games. I know for a fact it will play Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda. People saying that it won't simply don't know what they are talking about. I know for a fact because I was playing them with it. That being said, it played them on fairly low to mid quality, never on high quality. An 8350 will play those games on Ultra quality. I know that for a fact also because it is what I have now. I found a used one for 25.00 and so I got it to see if it worked. And it did. I play Fallout 4 and Mass Effect on Ultra quality.

But still, it is older technology. If I were going to save up for something band new, it would be a Ryzen 1600 most likely.
The FX 6300 is still a really slow CPU that's 6 years old at this point and "upgrading" to that is a complete waste of money in my opinion, hopefully you're also aware that it doesn't have an integrated GPU. What are you trying to do with the computer?

I would highly suggest saving up some extra money so that you can get a Ryzen 1400 or a used intel i5/mobo combo if you don't want to replace your RAM. The FX lineup is already not good enough for modern games, if you're going to upgrade then you should move to hardware that's at least somewhat up to date.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I know for a fact that the FX-6300 will play modern games. I know for a fact it will play Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda. People saying that it won't simply don't know what they are talking about. I know for a fact because I was playing them with it. That being said, it played them on fairly low to mid quality, never on high quality. An 8350 will play those games on Ultra quality. I know that for a fact also because it is what I have now. I found a used one for 25.00 and so I got it to see if it worked. And it did. I play Fallout 4 and Mass Effect on Ultra quality.

But still, it is older technology. If I were going to save up for something band new, it would be a Ryzen 1600 most likely.

Solution

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

And here I am playing Mass Effect Andromeda on Ultra settings with an FX-8350, which happens to be the recommended AMD processor by Bioware.

Go figure.

Still, the only reason I have it is because I found one for 25.00. If I were going to get something brand new I would get a Ryzen 1600. But if someone is on a very strict budget, and yes, there are people out there that are, the FX CPUs will play modern games. I have seen a 6300 play Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda even though both say that the CPU is below minimum specs. And yes, the games were playable, just at a lower graphics setting.