Question Should i buy a new External SSD to migrate windows to SSD from HDD, without a fresh OS install on SDD?

VatoTavo

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Gave my bud a pc with a m.2 around June 2020,used for streaming worked great , later added SSD and HDD(for game storage) and Radeon 550(maybe) 2GB, all from their previous main PC pre-built. It worked great wasn't the best for AAA titles
Has issues with GPU drivers , resolved with reinstalling AMD drivers almost weekly, months ago has trouble with display going out, PC freezing among other issues. Thinking its the old AMD GPU i set on getting a newer for me and
switching buddies GPU to my 1070, I come to find the OS is now on the HDD , previously being on the m.2 😧

PC specs
AMD 2600
MSI b450 pro
WD Black 250GB NVME (previously boot drive)
LENOVO 500GB Sata
TOSHIBA 1TB-7200HDD (now the boot drive) idk how this happen bud isn't tech savvy
ASUS-DUAL GTX 1070 ( replaced AMD 2GB)

Migrating from HDD to SSD?

"Everything" from one to the other?

Two general choices: cloning or imaging.

Macrium Reflect a good tool for either.

You would not necessarily need an external drive.

Have you CONFIRMED that the PC will boot with the 250 GB NVMe and the Lenovo 500 GB totally disconnected? Only the Toshiba connected.

What is total occupied space on Toshiba?

What is free space on 250 NVMe?

What is free space on 500 Lenovo?

VatoTavo

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Slow down.

Without all the backstory, 2 questions:
  1. Does the system work perfectly in its current configuration?
  2. Are you looking to change between the current drive (HDD?) and something better?
(more questions to follow)

1. Naw it's annoyingly slow, will shut down randomly and "black sceen" as my bud has told me.
  2. Change OS back to the original m.2, just somehow the OS is on the HDD right now.
thanks i didn't have time this morning to look into it before we went to work

VatoTavo

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Migrating from HDD to SSD?

"Everything" from one to the other?

Two general choices: cloning or imaging.

Macrium Reflect a good tool for either.

You would not necessarily need an external drive.

Have you CONFIRMED that the PC will boot with the 250 GB NVMe and the Lenovo 500 GB totally disconnected? Only the Toshiba connected.

What is total occupied space on Toshiba?

What is free space on 250 NVMe?

What is free space on 500 Lenovo?
Just switch OS between the drives.

Didn't have much time this morning before buddy had work. Only changed GPUs

Can't answer space available right now...

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Naw it's annoyingly slow, will shut down randomly and "black sceen" as my bud has told me.
  2. Change OS back to the original m.2, just somehow the OS is on the HDD right now.
If the system is not really working perfectly, cloning is not for you. You're just moving the problems to a different drive.

Hard to say why it shuts down randomly or black screens...............but a transfer to an SSD isn't likely to improve that by itself.

I'd try to troubleshoot the issue before transfer, at least test the HDD with manufacturer's tools, and consider a clean install.