Question Should i buy a new motherboard for my Ryzen 5 2600x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jkris.b

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
pcpartpicker.com
Well I’m getting an Rtx 2080 super and I have a Ryzen 5 2600 x I only have a Gigabyte a320m motherboard and Inwa s going to get an ASUS rog b450 so I can overclock I don’t really want to get rid of my 2600 x as I only just got it about a month ago I upgraded from fx 8300

Not entirely true as we will get the PCIe gen 4 lanes from the CPU with B550. That means at least one PCIe x4, gen 4, NVME and one PCIe x16 slot will be gen 4. Only the chipset lanes will be gen 3. At least as far as what I've been able to tell.

We could technically get the PCIe gen 4 lanes from the (Ryzen 3000) CPU even with B450 and X470, it's just AMD has disabled it in AGESA code.
Everything I have read or remember reading has stated B550 won't be getting PCIE 4.0 because it will be using a lower power chipset much like the B450 but as an AMD developed chip. B550 is more budget oriented anyway and almost nobody buying it would be needing PCIE 4.0 for SSDs or graphics cards.

Last edited:
Everything I have read or remember reading has stated B550 won't be getting PCIE 4.0 because it will be using a lower power chipset much like the B450 but as an AMD developed chip. B550 is more budget oriented anyway and almost nobody buying it would be needing PCIE 4.0 for SSDs or graphics cards.

I have read the same thing, but careful reading is in order. Those 'rumor' articles are describing features of the chipset and the chipset has nothing to do with the PCIe lanes provisioned by the CPU.

It's perfectly feasible to have Gen 3 from chipset and Gen 4 from CPU. Asus has even enabled gen 4 on CPU lanes for some of their early X470 and B450 board BIOS's for Ryzen 3000, much to AMD's chagrin. In that case the X470 and B450 chips still provisioned Gen2 lanes, as before.

I fully expect AMD to allow full gen 4 from cpu on B550 boards since they should be designed to AMD's requirements to assure a satisfactory user experience, the primary excuse AMD put out for denying it on B450 and X470.

But then, all we have are rumor articles and teasers so it's all guesses anyway. We'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
I have read the same thing, but careful reading is in order. Those 'rumor' articles are describing features of the chipset and the chipset has nothing to do with the PCIe lanes provisioned by the CPU.

It's perfectly feasible to have Gen 3 from chipset and Gen 4 from CPU. Asus has even enabled gen 4 on CPU lanes for some of their early X470 and B450 board BIOS's for Ryzen 3000, much to AMD's chagrin. In that case the X470 and B450 chips still provisioned Gen2 lanes, as before.

I fully expect AMD to allow full gen 4 from cpu on B550 boards since they should be designed to AMD's requirements to assure a satisfactory user experience, the primary excuse AMD put out for denying it on B450 and X470.

But then, all we have are rumor articles and teasers so it's all guesses anyway. We'll know soon enough.
I think the main advantages of the B550 could be better compatibility with Ryzen 4000 and the possibility of provisioning for two M.2 SSDs without reducing the second one to SATA 6Gb speed or possibly not shutting off SATA ports with two M.2 SSDs installed. Although it might also mean reduced SATA ports from 6 to 2-4 on even an ATX board with the push toward M.2 SSDs. I still doubt we will see PCIE4.0 on B550 board except maybe the most expensive. There is just no need for it on an already mid to low tier targeted platform. Motherboard manufacturers don't want you buy expensive PCIE 4.0 SSDs to use in a budget oriented platform. It increases part and manufacturing costs and could push the motherboards too close to X570 price ranges when that cost is already factored into the X570 platform.

I think the main advantages of the B550 could be better compatibility with Ryzen 4000 ...

Ahh...I will not hold my breath for that one! Absent a definitive statement from AMD, we can not be certain Ryzen 4000 will be deployed on AM4. Right now all we have from them is 'we'll support am4 to 2020'. Whatever that means I feel it speculative to infer 'with new processors' much less 'with new processor architectures'.

... two M.2 SSDs without reducing the second one to SATA 6Gb ...

THAT B550, with more PCIe lanes, should allow. And PCIe gen 3 too!

Incidentally, I do have two NVME SSD's in my B450m Mortar...the second is operating at PCIe x4 gen2 though. For that I gave up the second PCIe x16/4 slot which is utterly useless anyway. So it's not true the only way is with SATA 6 Gb/s bandwidth.

You don't have to do gen 4 to the GPU and NVME expensively, ASUS has demonstrated that already. The real expense comes with doing it to the other slots, over 6" from the source, that require PCIe repeaters or redrivers. The other big expenses for X570 was the AMD-sourced chipset itself and the heinously over-designed VRM's that the board mfr's felt needed for these boards.

B550 will be Asmedia, IIRC, design and mfr., in addition to foregoing gen 4 so we should get some good economy from that. And being slotted into the budget segment I hope mfr's can see fit to equipping them with VRM designs reasonable sized for the power efficient Ryzen 3000 product line.

One hopes, at least.

Last edited: