[SOLVED] Should I buy a new RTX 2070 that has a Watercooler?

CapedCrusader'39

Reputable
Mar 25, 2020
Hello, I just bought a new Define Nano S and I took everything into account except for my GPU Temps. My Card has only 1cm of space for the fan because it sits right above the PSU, and my GPU Idles at 60 Degrees Celsius and when under load from a Game or benchmark like Superposition it goes up to 90 Degrees Celsius or sometimes higher and I'm worried about it damaging the Card and Thermal Throttling . I am wondering if I should upgrade to the (EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Hybrid Gaming) or if I should just switch cases to something like the Fractal Design Define Mini C.

I do not have enough money to buy the Graphics card without selling my current one for $550.00 or $600.00 dollars because the (EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super) will cost me $638.66 dollars on Amazon, and I'll be broke if I sell my current card which is a (GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 MINI ITX 8G Graphics Card).

The case is at a better price range for me but I prefer the ITX form factor of this case and really don't feel like upsizing cases at the moment, so I am debating on what to do, while I can afford the graphics card the only way to make my money back would be to sell my current one for a similar price that I bought the new one, and like I said before I don't want to upsize cases but that and the Graphics card upgrade seem to be my only two options.

My Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)DDR4 @3200MHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 MINI ITX 8G Graphics Card
SSD: 1x Samsung 250 GB
SSD: 1x Samsung 1 TB
HDD: 2x 1 TB Seagate
External HDD: 1x 8 TB WD Easystore
PSU: EVGA 650w G3 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
PC Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Windowed

I Added my build here so you guys can better see the situation I'm dealing with, and no removing the side panel did not improve my Temperatures.
9JjySm.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
A case as cramped as that you'd need blower style heatsink (impeller fan). That'll force the hot air directly out the rear and generate the static pressure necessary to draw in air from the case. The hybrid you menioned is another option. Probably less noisy than a blower card. Which get pretty bad. The hybrid also costs more and will make your case more cramped.

A regular mid tower case with decent airflow will make cooling much easier. The smaller cases work. They just typically require more planning and expense to cool. That cooling often includes more noise than a large case.
A case as cramped as that you'd need blower style heatsink (impeller fan). That'll force the hot air directly out the rear and generate the static pressure necessary to draw in air from the case. The hybrid you menioned is another option. Probably less noisy than a blower card. Which get pretty bad. The hybrid also costs more and will make your case more cramped.

A regular mid tower case with decent airflow will make cooling much easier. The smaller cases work. They just typically require more planning and expense to cool. That cooling often includes more noise than a large case.

Reactions: CapedCrusader'39
Solution

CapedCrusader'39

Reputable
Mar 25, 2020

Thanks, and would my current motherboard fit on the standoff positions on the Define Mini C because i don't have the extra cash to upgrade motherboard right now either?