Should I buy a new ssd or motherboard?

officalsyco05277

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hey guys. (new here, scroll through the internet and found this awesome forum !)
In general I use the computer for Music Production, Gaming, and a a little video editing

I want the SSD to be for OS and Music programs (VST and etc...)
My motherboard supports only Sata II, is there a big difference between Sata II and Sata III for SSD?
This is my computer:

By the way, if it's important I already have 2 HDD of 1 TB each by Westren Digital.
Thanks for reading & have a good day :)

Solution
The SSD itself will support any version of SATA.

I would recommend samsung 850 evo or crucial BX or MX drives.
Pretty much all others (PNY, ADATA, SanDisk, WD, Kingston, etc) use crappy 3D TLC memory from Toshiba so there is a noticeable difference between them and Samsung/Crucial. While the chips themselves being slower won't mean much since running at sata2 anyways, but the controller taking longer to seek on the drive will still make a noticeable difference for you.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well with SATA 3 something like a samsung 850 evo for example would hit sequential read and write speeds of about 500MBps, using that drive on SATA 2 board would limit you to about 300MBps sequential read and write. However this is still a big improvement over a hard drive which will do around 120MBps read and writes with much worse 4k read speeds.

The SSD itself will support any version of SATA.

I would recommend samsung 850 evo or crucial BX or MX drives.
Pretty much all others (PNY, ADATA, SanDisk, WD, Kingston, etc) use crappy 3D TLC memory from Toshiba so there is a noticeable difference between them and Samsung/Crucial. While the chips themselves being slower won't mean much since running at sata2 anyways, but the controller taking longer to seek on the drive will still make a noticeable difference for you.

Solution

lperreault21

Notable
Sep 8, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from officalsyco05277 : "Should I buy SSD or a new Motherboard?"

Well, I don't see your PC specs, But anyways...

I would get an SSD . There is barely a difference between Sata II and III