[SOLVED] Should I buy a PC or a Laptop ?

BlackSova

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello guys, big dilemma here !

So I've saved enough money to either build a desktop PC configuration, or buy laptop. Keep in mind it's big decision for me, because I'm quite poor and I will be spending 5-6 months worth of minimum wage salary in my country.

I just graduated university and will be moving in another city to work there. Most of the time I will not travel a lot, but sometimes I will go back in my home town to visit family and friends, so that's the only time it would be good to have an laptop to bring, because if I go for more, than 3 days without a computer and will go crazy.

I'm big gamer and am playing games lot's and lot's of time, so that's the bad thing about having a laptop, tough usually the game that I play are not that demanding, Dota 2, Team Fight Tactics, World of Warcraft, Fortnite.
I guess now as I start working and live alone I will have very limited time for games, considering cooking food, going to gym, cleaning etc..., but probably gonna hit 12+ hours sessions during weekends.
With the purchase I hope to don't need new computer for at least 4-5 years, because it is expensive.

I am more leaning towards on buying custom desktop PC build, but kind of want a laptop.

I was thinking to build something with Ryzen 3600, GTX 1660TI, 16GB DDR RAM, 500GB SSD, or buy Lenovo Legion Y540 with similar specifications, but am really afraid that if I buy laptop it won't last as long as PC, because of the heating.
Also with laptop I was planing to hook it to 24' Monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset, since I'm a gamer and can't play to a pesky 16' display, tough the mobility of an laptop will probably really come in handy now since I will be working and living alone.

My main concern is that laptop won't last me 4-5 years as a custom PC build would.

Solution
A desktop offers better performance. Desktop CPUs and GPUs provide better performance than laptops
Upgrading is easier and cheaper in desktops (more HDD, RAM slots etc)
Repairing is easier in desktops and you can do small repairs by yourself as well
Gaming obviously is way better in desktops (less heating and much more)
All of the above at a cheaper price than laptops
HOWEVER,
Laptops are built for their mobility
Laptops consume less power saving extra dollars on electricity bills and come handy in power outages
The games you have listed can easily run at 60 FPS by a decent laptop

The choice is yours but I would recommended a desktop if you can live a few days without one as more pros out weigh the cons

yqd321

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
A desktop offers better performance. Desktop CPUs and GPUs provide better performance than laptops
Upgrading is easier and cheaper in desktops (more HDD, RAM slots etc)
Repairing is easier in desktops and you can do small repairs by yourself as well
Gaming obviously is way better in desktops (less heating and much more)
All of the above at a cheaper price than laptops
HOWEVER,
Laptops are built for their mobility
Laptops consume less power saving extra dollars on electricity bills and come handy in power outages
The games you have listed can easily run at 60 FPS by a decent laptop

The choice is yours but I would recommended a desktop if you can live a few days without one as more pros out weigh the cons

Solution
Between the two, I'd always choose a desktop if you can only have 1 PC. More power and likely service life for the money. Have you considered a small form factor desktop? ITX size build for example. They are quite small compared to the larger builds and much more portable. This all said, it's a tough decision with your scenario.