[SOLVED] Should I buy a Pci-e network card or an usb adapter

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
I have an old motherboard that has a lan speed of only 100mbps. I want to buy a gigabit network card or an usb adapter.
The thing is that my RX 580 takes much space from the lower part of the mobo and it reaches the pci e slot for the network card.
You can see here what I am talking about: Video card on mobo . I don't know how it will affect the airflow for the gpu and if it even fits.
I can buy an usb gigabit adapter but my usb ports are only 2.0 and from what I've read the top speed for that is 480mbps. Now my ethernet speed is around 300mbps so I don't think the usb 2.0 will affect me that much.
What is your opinion on this? Should I try with a pci e network card or buy an usb adapter.

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
What motherboard is it? I ask because motherboards for around the last 20 years have had 100/1000mbps network ports and if it's older than that, why on Earth are you installing an RX 580 in it?

-Wolf sends

It is an Asrock H61M-HVS . I've put an RX 580 in it because I got it for cheap and I use it with an i7 3770.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It is an Asrock H61M-HVS . I've put an RX 580 in it because I got it for cheap and I use it with an i7 3770.
Well I'll be damned.

Technically, there is (or should be) sufficient room to install a PCI-Ex1 Network card, but that would all but block airflow to cool your graphics card. In this situation, I would probably opt for a USB option and then either look for a different case that has USB 3.0 or a new motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
I recently got this PCIe LAN adapter to stand in for the motherboard connector. The motherboard took a lightning strike, and killed the LAN port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F34ONC

That card is TINY in relation to the RX-580 (which I also have)
Mine is sitting right under the GPU, and does not impede airflow in any way.

This type of network card I had in mind. After all I think I ll go with the network card, if you say it won't block the 580.

USAFRet

Titan
And to dispel any doubts, this is to scale.

LAN adapter at bottom right.
CcERfWi.png