[SOLVED] Should I buy a pre built or a custom pc?

Aug 16, 2019
I have parts picked out for a custom build, but i have no idea how to put anything together, and after watching around 50 youtube videos, I still don't know where to start. my budget for both would be around 700 dollars. This is the prebuilt i'm looking at, https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2486262
both the pre built and the custom, came out to around 700 dollars, and they had almost the same level of parts, except the custom had an 240 gb ssd and more ram. which would you reccomend?

Solution
This is a hard question to answer. Basically all comes down to you. Building your own system is always best as it gives you priceless hands on troubleshooting experience. Then again, if the "how-it-works" aspect does not interest you, then a pre-made system might be best for you. as a general rule of thumb, you'll 99.99% of the time have a faster PC if you custom build it. do any of your friends have PC's and if so, are they tech savvy? At some point, even the smartest PC guy/girl knew nothing. As you said, Youtube has an almost endless # of How-To videos. If you WANT to build it, but aren't sure, let us know and I'm sure you'll have an equally endless # of people posting quality links to great videos. People can also talk you thru it...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
This is a hard question to answer. Basically all comes down to you. Building your own system is always best as it gives you priceless hands on troubleshooting experience. Then again, if the "how-it-works" aspect does not interest you, then a pre-made system might be best for you. as a general rule of thumb, you'll 99.99% of the time have a faster PC if you custom build it. do any of your friends have PC's and if so, are they tech savvy? At some point, even the smartest PC guy/girl knew nothing. As you said, Youtube has an almost endless # of How-To videos. If you WANT to build it, but aren't sure, let us know and I'm sure you'll have an equally endless # of people posting quality links to great videos. People can also talk you thru it step by step. It may sound scary at first, but trust yourself. You can do it.

Reactions: sdedu77
Solution
Aug 16, 2019
This is a hard question to answer. Basically all comes down to you. Building your own system is always best as it gives you priceless hands on troubleshooting experience. Then again, if the "how-it-works" aspect does not interest you, then a pre-made system might be best for you. as a general rule of thumb, you'll 99.99% of the time have a faster PC if you custom build it. do any of your friends have PC's and if so, are they tech savvy? At some point, even the smartest PC guy/girl knew nothing. As you said, Youtube has an almost endless # of How-To videos. If you WANT to build it, but aren't sure, let us know and I'm sure you'll have an equally endless # of people posting quality links to great videos. People can also talk you thru it step by step. It may sound scary at first, but trust yourself. You can do it.
almost all of my friends have pcs, but they also just got prebuilts

USAFRet

Titan
I have parts picked out for a custom build, but i have no idea how to put anything together, and after watching around 50 youtube videos, I still don't know where to start. my budget for both would be around 700 dollars. This is the prebuilt i'm looking at, https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2486262
both the pre built and the custom, came out to around 700 dollars, and they had almost the same level of parts, except the custom had an 240 gb ssd and more ram. which would you reccomend?
One of the main differences is exactly what make/model the parts are.
Not all "240GB SSD's" are alike. or equal quality.
Not all "600w PSU's" are alike.

Aug 16, 2019
In my opinion yes. :) I mean, who doesn't like to be a hero? :) If nothing else, it'll save YOU time/money/hassle when you can diagnose & fix any potential problems yourself. It's a win-win really.
i watched a few more youtube videos, i think i'd be able to install everything but I don't trust myself to not * up installing the psu, do you know if I could get install everything, but get a repair shop or something to install the psu?

USAFRet

Titan
i watched a few more youtube videos, i think i'd be able to install everything but I don't trust myself to not * up installing the psu, do you know if I could get install everything, but get a repair shop or something to install the psu?
No.
Some things must be installed before others, and no two parts collections are exactly alike.
Installing the power supply and routing the cables is no harder than the rest of it.