[SOLVED] Should I buy a processor without integrated graphics?

Jul 20, 2019
Hello there! I have been planning to build a pc for some time. As this is my first time, I have some confusion regarding the hardware I want to buy.

I want to buy following components:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming

The problem is that the CPU doesn't has an integrated graphics. However the motherboard specs says that it has onboard Intel HD Graphics, with a HDMI 2.0 port.

Due to budget limitations, I am planning to buy a discrete graphics later on. Will my computer work with the above components? Or is it a necessity to buy graphics card?

P.S.- All other components are compatible with motherboard.

Solution

The problem is that the CPU doesn't has an integrated graphics. However the motherboard specs says that it has onboard Intel HD Graphics, with a HDMI 2.0 port.

That motherboard has Intel LAN, not graphics. Your source material is wrong and probably a copy and paste error by the retailer. AMD motherboards will never, ever, ever, ever, ever support "integrated" Intel HD graphics unless the sky is falling and pigs grow wings. ;)

Here's the specs--> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#kf

As others have stated, you will need a separate graphics card to use that particular CPU. Any crappy PCI-E card by AMD or NVIDIA...
That board's onboard graphics only work when running a processor with integrated graphics, so no, you will not be able to use your system without a discrete GPU.

If you are on a budget, wait to build the system until you can build the system in full.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

That motherboard has Intel LAN, not graphics. Your source material is wrong and probably a copy and paste error by the retailer. AMD motherboards will never, ever, ever, ever, ever support "integrated" Intel HD graphics unless the sky is falling and pigs grow wings. ;)

Here's the specs--> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#kf

As others have stated, you will need a separate graphics card to use that particular CPU. Any crappy PCI-E card by AMD or NVIDIA will work.

Solution