[SOLVED] Should I buy a router or a better receiver to get better Wifi Signal.

Juan Bonnett

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Hi guys, my problem with a Modem is simple:

When I stand next to my modem with my phone, I get 100% download speeds, when I use the desktop PC in a room that is not even far from the modem, even with full "100% signal" according to windows, I get less than half download speed.

My Modem:

o5MuWT7.jpg

Positioned in the middle of a hall in a small apartment (The PC in the room is the PC I 'm talking about):
wHMbOok.jpg

The USB Receiver:
sX4IY2z.jpg

Should I buy a huge router with huge antenas? Or sould I buy a better USB receiver?

Solution
Not a router, a repeater. Modem needs to be next to pc, hardwired. Secondary line possibly for laptop use. Slap a WPS repeater on a table in the hallway to cover Wi-Fi for the apartment, or better, mount it to the wall near the ceiling. Just needs power from some place. Far cheaper setup than a full router, which tends to get obsolete every time the ISP upgrades its service bandwidth and transmission speeds. I love my old Asus RT-66U, awesome Wi-Fi router, but it's a/b/g/n, not even AC or now AX with Wi-Fi 6.

kanewolf

Titan
Reactions: kurdtnz

Juan Bonnett

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Hey! thanks for replying, very helpful. I have a laptop that I use in that room as well, and obviously my phone. And they also get weak signal there, does it mean that maybe the problem is in the modem?

Juan Bonnett

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Ummmm I tried rotating it in 4 angles, and puting it on a small table and it's the same. 40% of the download speed in the room.

I'm starting to think that my ISP just put a cheap modem and I might demand them to change it or provide me an extender.

There are no obstacles between the modem and my PC, the signal / intensity seems to be reduced a lot for each meter of distance from the modem, and again, this it not a mansion or a park, as you could see in the photo.

Juan Bonnett

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
you can also connect with your phone and then thether your phone to the pc .
My Phone is downloading at half the speed as well, even in direct line of sight with the modem, it seems to be something to do with the distance, maybe the channel, the intensity, I don't know, but I'm demanding my ISP to change it because it's ridiculous that I'm getting low download speeds being 4 metters away with no mayor obstacles

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
My Phone is downloading at half the speed as well, even in direct line of sight with the modem, it seems to be something to do with the distance, maybe the channel, the intensity, I don't know, but I'm demanding my ISP to change it because it's ridiculous that I'm getting low download speeds being 4 metters away with no mayor obstacles

anyhow your phone always will have a stronger wifi connectivity than that tiny usb receiver.

Reactions: Juan Bonnett

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not a router, a repeater. Modem needs to be next to pc, hardwired. Secondary line possibly for laptop use. Slap a WPS repeater on a table in the hallway to cover Wi-Fi for the apartment, or better, mount it to the wall near the ceiling. Just needs power from some place. Far cheaper setup than a full router, which tends to get obsolete every time the ISP upgrades its service bandwidth and transmission speeds. I love my old Asus RT-66U, awesome Wi-Fi router, but it's a/b/g/n, not even AC or now AX with Wi-Fi 6.

Solution