Should I buy a Ryzen 5500u laptop now or save up more for a better option?

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
With my current budget im able to get one of those 450-500$ Ryzen 5500u laptops, but I figured that should I save up a little more and go for a 800-1000$ gtx 1650 gaming laptop? The wait can be up to 2 years, though

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
What do you need a new laptop for?

Chances are you'd be able to buy something much better in 2 years, if you are willing to wait that long.
Mostly gaming, productivity use, video editing (after effects) and schoolwork. I'd thought about the 6core ryzen 5500u could be a solid choice for editing but as for gaming with the integrated gpu, not so much. I'm definitely willing to wait since I do have an old laptop which I still use but it's not one that can run games or edit heavily. (i3 6006u 8gb ram)

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Mostly gaming, productivity use, video editing (after effects) and schoolwork. I'd thought about the 6core ryzen 5500u could be a solid choice for editing but as for gaming with the integrated gpu, not so much. I'm definitely willing to wait since I do have an old laptop which I still use but it's not one that can run games or edit heavily. (i3 6006u 8gb ram)
Few thoughs:
  • You're definitely going to want more than 8GB RAM for After Effects, so whatever you choose, make sure it either has 16gb or make sure you can add RAM later (i.e. the RAM isn't soldered)
  • An H processor will be better for gaming than a U processor (assuming you don't go for a laptop with a dedicated GPU). I reckon a good H processor with 16gb RAM will let you do quite a lot of gaming at decent FPS, and it should be lighter/more portable without the dedicated GPU. I'd suggest you aim for about 1.7kg/3.5lbs max if you actually intent to take it around with you a lot.

Last edited:

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Few thoughs:
  • You're definitely going to want more than 8GB RAM for After Effects, so whatever you choose, make sure it either has 16gb or make sure you can add RAM later (i.e. the RAM isn't soldered)
  • An H processor will be better for gaming than a U processor (assuming you don't go for a laptop with a dedicated GPU). I reckon a good H processor with 16gb RAM will let you do quite a lot of gaming at decent FPS, and it should be lighter/more portable without the dedicated GPU. I'd suggest you aim for about 1.7kg/3.5lbs max if you actually intent to take it around with you a lot.
sorry for taking a month to reply, long story short I decided to hang on to it and wait for next year to get an overall better gaming laptop. If you don't mind answering, how likely is it for budget gaming laptops prices to drop around 2022?

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
What do you need a new laptop for?

Chances are you'd be able to buy something much better in 2 years, if you are willing to wait that long.
sorry for taking a month to reply, long story short I decided to hang on to it and wait for next year to get an overall better gaming laptop. If you don't mind answering, how likely is it for budget gaming laptops prices to drop around 2022?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Cheaper, probably not. If anything, it might get a bit more expensive.

Somewhat better when Intel's Alder Lake goes mobile? Probably. Even Tiger Lake mobile chips are pretty impressive in 80EU and 96EU iGPU versions: About the equivalent of a GTX 680MX, Nvidia's flagship mobile GPU back during 2012-2013, in terms of graphic performance. Same goes with AMD's next gen APU when they come out.

Still relevant to one's immediate needs given current trend of supply chain instability and that Damoclean sword of catastrophe? Sure hope so.