Question Should I buy a single 2TB WD SN850X NVMe SSD or 2 x WD SN850X 1TB SSDs ?

May 27, 2024
I am making a pc to edit videos in premiere pro. I have the following doubts regarding these
WD SN850X SSDs. Which of the following arrangements would be more beneficial to me in terms of drive speed?

1) Should I buy a single 2TB WD SN850X and partition it into 2 drives . One for the os , application and all the media storage and other partition for the media cache ? My other question is would each partition have different drive speed ?(Can you all give some clarity on the speed of different drives on partition)

Or

2) Should I buy 2 x WD SN850X 1TB SSDs . One SSD for os, applications and all the media storage, and the other SSD for the media cache ?

Lutfij

Titan
1| You're exhausting resources thinking about partitioning the drive. Get two drives, one that is smaller in capacity for the OS, apps and launchers, the other drive can be larger, which will hold your work/content and finally an HDD to have your final production on.

2| Get 1x500GB SSD and a 2TB SSD, and if you want a 2TB(or higher) HDD.

You've been vague about the motherboard you're going to use and the system overall, you're hyper focused on the drives and creating partitions instead of the overall build which will dictate your rendering times as well.

May 27, 2024
1| You're exhausting resources thinking about partitioning the drive. Get two drives, one that is smaller in capacity for the OS, apps and launchers, the other drive can be larger, which will hold your work/content and finally an HDD to have your final production on.

2| Get 1x500GB SSD and a 2TB SSD, and if you want a 2TB(or higher) HDD.

You've been vague about the motherboard you're going to use and the system overall, you're hyper focused on the drives and creating partitions instead of the overall build which will dictate your rendering times as well.
I have to edit various complex mogrt files in premiere pro therefore I am planning to build a best system possible. Here is my planned PC components. What do you think about my PC components?

CPU - i9 12900k,
GPU - 4060ti 16gb GPU,
Mobo - Msi Pro Z790-P Wifi motherboard, ATX
Ram - G.Skill RAM 64 GB (2×32GB) 6000Mhz
Cooler - Any 360 AIO cooler.
PSU - Corsair 850W 80+Gold Fully Modular PSU.

USAFRet

Titan
What part of this wasn't covered in your previous question?

May 27, 2024
What part of this wasn't covered in your previous question?
The 2nd part of my question

May 27, 2024
Yes.
But the reason I suggested it that way is to have your media files on a drive other than the OS.

That way, when/if you need to reinstall the OS, your personal files are not in the way.
I think for the time being, I would get only 2 1tb SSD as for my budget. Do you also recommend some other WD SN850X that has better sequential read/write speed ?

logainofhades

Titan
I have to edit various complex mogrt files in premiere pro therefore I am planning to build a best system possible. Here is my planned PC components. What do you think about my PC components?

CPU - i9 12900k,
GPU - 4060ti 16gb GPU,
Mobo - Msi Pro Z790-P Wifi motherboard, ATX
Ram - G.Skill RAM 64 GB (2×32GB) 6000Mhz
Cooler - Any 360 AIO cooler.
PSU - Corsair 850W 80+Gold Fully Modular PSU.

I would ditch the 12900k, for a 12700k. The 12900k is a bit better, but not $100+ better. That frees up budget for more storage.

premiere-pro.png