[SOLVED] Should I buy a (used) 1080 TI, or split the $500 into both a CPU+GPU?

Aug 24, 2019
I have a deal for a 1080 TI at $500 CAD, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy and use along with my current CPU (Intel XEON E3 1230). If I buy a 1080 TI, I'd also need to buy a new power supply.

Should I split the $500 into a new CPU and worse GPU (compared to the 1080 TI), or is my CPU decent enough to pair alongside a 1080 TI?

(I am looking to play very graphic-intensive games which my crappy setup cannot handle at the moment)

I'm fairly new to picking out PC parts, so your help is greatly appreciated!

My current CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...xeon-processor-e3-1230-8m-cache-3-20-ghz.html

Aug 24, 2019
I paired a EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti with a stock speed i7-950 some time ago and it played pretty much any game I threw at it, including BF1 and Ghost Recon Wildlands, and quite well. I may have lost a few frames over a current Intel, but it's definitely worth it if you're strapped for cash. That's a great price on a 1080 Ti if it's new, especially at CAN prices.

A XEON E3 1230 is basically a locked and slightly lower clocked version of a 4770, but Xeons are high binned chips that are rock solid. It's Passmark score is about 41% higher than my i7-950 was, so should do even better.

I would say jump on it faster than a rabbit looking for a mate!

BTW, be careful what heading you post your threads under. You mistakenly placed it in PC Gaming, and my response at first would not submit because they'd already moved it to Components, which is where it should be. ;)
I reposted it here after I realized my mistake, had just joined this forum minutes ago and didn't read the titles correctly. Honestly, you're probably right about the cpu, as it's been pretty decent for the times i've had it, the only thing that made me question it's abilities was that it was going for like $50 CAD on ebay.

I'll take your advice and hop on the deal ASAP, thanks for all of your time!!

I reposted it here after I realized my mistake, had just joined this forum minutes ago and didn't read the titles correctly. Honestly, you're probably right about the cpu, as it's been pretty decent for the times i've had it, the only thing that made me question it's abilities was that it was going for like $50 CAD on ebay.

I'll take your advice and hop on the deal ASAP, thanks for all of your time!!
Well kudos to you then for recognizing your mistake so quickly.

BTW, don't hesitate to update us on how well the 1080 Ti performs on that rig, as many looking to upgrade whom are strapped for cash might find it useful. Even better if you can upload a short video clip or two.

Aug 24, 2019
Well kudos to you then for recognizing your mistake so quickly.

BTW, don't hesitate to update us on how well the 1080 Ti performs on that rig, as many looking to upgrade whom are strapped for cash might find it useful. Even better if you can upload a short video clip or two.
I'll be updating all of you guys once I get the graphics card installed. I'll be benchmarking and whatnot anyways, so I'd be glad to share it with anyone else looking to do the same.