Should I buy a used rx 580 now or wait

Nov 20, 2017
I found a really good deal on a used 8Gb rx 580 Pulse (150$). I currently have a gtx 970, so I understand the upgrade is going to be very small.

My plan originally was to buy a 2k freesync monitor and then wait for a good deal on an rx vega 64, or wait for the next gen Navi cards from amd.

If I buy the rx 580 now and then have the monitor, I could atleast make use on the freesync technology when down-scaling to 1080p, or play on 2k without freesync until I can get an amd card that will be able to handle 2k 144hz.

Is this a good plan? or is this just too much hassle and I should wait until I can buy everything I need at once.

Solution
Honestly im the kind of guy that dosent go from step to step ugprades. I mean, for me... It sounds a little bit pointless since its only a slightly upgrade from a GTX 970.

What i do in order for Upgrades is: Save all the money i can and in 4 or 5 years when the tech goes obselete i sell my PC at the most i can get for it and purchase All brand new components and get the most updated rig possible so it can hang on 4 or 5 years without having to worry for an update.

Thats actually what i do...

In therms of Monitors... Well, unless you play some FPS games like Csgo, Cod,Bf1,etc. 144hz its a noticeable upgrade but its a very very demandant upgrade. Since you will need your whole pc to run those games at atleast 144 frames per second. So...

Ramlethal

Estimable
Honestly im the kind of guy that dosent go from step to step ugprades. I mean, for me... It sounds a little bit pointless since its only a slightly upgrade from a GTX 970.

What i do in order for Upgrades is: Save all the money i can and in 4 or 5 years when the tech goes obselete i sell my PC at the most i can get for it and purchase All brand new components and get the most updated rig possible so it can hang on 4 or 5 years without having to worry for an update.

Thats actually what i do...

In therms of Monitors... Well, unless you play some FPS games like Csgo, Cod,Bf1,etc. 144hz its a noticeable upgrade but its a very very demandant upgrade. Since you will need your whole pc to run those games at atleast 144 frames per second. So, the 144hz is a very good upgrade but definitly not a life changing one.
I mean, everyone has their own ways to do things... And ofcourse this is just a small tip. I wont stop you from upgrading aswel... But its only that i dont feel it necessary for now.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure you understand what freesync does. "or play on 2k without freesync" Why would you do that? An RX 580 can hit at least 60fps probably more in most games if you play with the settings at 1440p. Freesync matches your monitors refresh rate to the fps of your game, so for example if you are running a game at 75fps the monitor runs at 75hz, you don't need to hit 144fps to make use of freesync.

Ramlethal

Estimable

I mean, yeah... But what is the actual point if you cant actually get the ultra 4k 144fps?
I see it pointless since, the card is old and it will be getting older and older...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

The op said 2k not 4k. Because with a freesync 144hz monitor you can run your games without vsync at any framerate between say 30fps and 144fps with no tearing.

However I would wait until I could afford the monitor and say a vega 56 card or future navi cards. But I do think a RX 580 would be a noticeable upgrade from the 970, if only because of freesync.

Nov 20, 2017

I see, I always did think that freesync required you to be able to run the native refresh rate. I'm really battling myself to decide what I want. I think it could be worthwhile until I make the final upgrade to a next gen navi gpu or vega 64. This rx 580/gtx 970 are only temporary anyways.