[SOLVED] Should I buy an almost-new ROG 1660 Super for ~$305 or a 2 year old ROG 1070 for ~$270?

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Hello. I'm looking for a decent graphics card for my buy build, and as there's nothing new I can buy I'm looking for used.

From what I read the two cards are practically the same in processing power, even if the older one has 8GB DDR5 and the newer one has 6GB DDR6, but I don't want a too-old card, while $300 is over what I put my budget at.

The 1660 Super was bought 3 months ago and it still has 33 months of warranty left. I suppose the older card might be in its last year of warranty, but I need to ask.

What do you think?

Solution
1660 super.

In most stuff they are equivalent, but in some titles (cyberpunk...) the 1660 super trounces the 1070, and even the 1080.
Warrenty also enough to justify 35 dollars in my opinion.

Saved my butt more than once.
(Just had a samsung 1440p 144hz monitor die, and got a G7 for a replacement.)
1660 super.

In most stuff they are equivalent, but in some titles (cyberpunk...) the 1660 super trounces the 1070, and even the 1080.

Solution

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
1660 super.

Perhaps, although I think I might be using it more for GPU assisted software. And it actually says on one website (game-debate.com) the 1070 gets a few more FPS on that title, although I don't know how exactly were those tests conducted.

But yeah, I would still get a newer card if it was the same price, but I can see some listings of the 1070 at about $255 (not the current ROG, there was one but it was gone before I contacted the person), so perhaps I could lower it a bit more towards that price, and the person selling the 1660 Super said $305 is the lowest he can go.

Although he was pretty nice about it: I asked for some actual photos of the card and he sent 10 maybe, I could see a little scratch on the plastic cover which he didn't notice, so due to my concern that it possibly brushed over some sharp edge during removal which might have also hit the electronics, he said it will work but if I somehow have a problem with the card after buying it I can return it and have my money back.

He also said he only bought it temporarily until the RTX 3080 was in stock, heh.

Perhaps, although I think I might be using it more for GPU assisted software. And it actually says on one website (game-debate.com) the 1070 gets a few more FPS on that title, although I don't know how exactly were those tests conducted.

But yeah, I would still get a newer card if it was the same price, but I can see some listings of the 1070 at about $255 (not the current ROG, there was one but it was gone before I contacted the person), so perhaps I could lower it a bit more towards that price, and the person selling the 1660 Super said $305 is the lowest he can go.

Although he was pretty nice about it: I asked for some actual photos of the card and he sent 10 maybe, I could see a little scratch on the plastic cover which he didn't notice, so due to my concern that it possibly brushed over some sharp edge during removal which might have also hit the electronics, he said it will work but if I somehow have a problem with the card after buying it I can return it and have my money back.

He also said he only bought it temporarily until the RTX 3080 was in stock, heh.
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ZRRek3dnWevnbEbFLiXXo5.png
This is from the cyberpunk benchmarks of this very forum, 1660super trailing the 1080 by 1-2 fps.
Why does the 1660 super cost 305$ tho?
Isn't it a 220$ card..?

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ZRRek3dnWevnbEbFLiXXo5.png
This is from the cyberpunk benchmarks of this very forum, 1660super trailing the 1080 by 1-2 fps.
Why does the 1660 super cost 305$ tho?
Isn't it a 220$ card..?
It's actually a 4 FPS difference on that chart, but perhaps it's because it is better on 4k for some reason while the other comparison was for FHD.

And I think the most basic version was $220 when it was first released, the ROG is both more expensive and the prices are now much higher if even available.

I'm not from the USA so the value varies as well, and the guy who sells it bought it for 36% more, so it is reasonable when you think about it. But still expensive.

It's actually a 4 FPS difference on that chart, but perhaps it's because it is better on 4k for some reason while the other comparison was for FHD.

And I think the most basic version was $220 when it was first released, the ROG is both more expensive and the prices are now much higher if even available.

I'm not from the USA so the value varies as well, and the guy who sells it bought it for 36% more, so it is reasonable when you think about it. But still expensive.
Got it.
Also, I said 1-2 between the 1080 and 1660 super.

If you don't get the ROG version, how much would that cost new?
Also, I'm not from the US either, here the 1660 super costs like 400$ base, and that was before the shortages.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Got it.
Also, I said 1-2 between the 1080 and 1660 super.

If you don't get the ROG version, how much would that cost new?
Also, I'm not from the US either, here the 1660 super costs like 400$ base, and that was before the shortages.
Ah, I wonder why's the difference.

I didn't really find cheaper for the 1660 Super, and either way I wanted the ROG because the ROG received the best or second best noise and thermal scores in reviews for both the 1650 Super and the 1070. I see someone listed an Asus TUF 1660 Super for the same price (so perhaps they'll agree to lower it if asking about the price), also claiming it's like new and with warranty, but they're both quite far away and I didn't find reviews for that model to compare noise and thermal performance.

I considered buying an MSI 1650 Super Gaming X from the store earlier at about $230, and that model also got the highest scores along the ROG, but they had only 1 in stock which is gone now and anyway for that price I said I'll try to find better and used.

EDIT: OK, I found a different website which did a review for the TUF 1660 Super and it received THIS noise measure???

Noise Levels

Now, in terms of the noise levels, well of course with a 3 fan configuration, it is expected that the ASUS TUF 1660 Super is the loudest at 100% fan speed at 71.7 decibels. However, at idle, it’s relatively quiet at 40.6 decibels.

That's either a mistake, or a different measurement method by this reviewer, or it is MUCH MUCH louder than the other cards, because the ROG version of the 1650 Super was said to be very quite at around 30dBa, while cards that got around 40 were said to be rather loud. 71.6dBa will be more than 16 times as loud as the ROG.

Last edited:
Ah, I wonder why's the difference.

I didn't really find cheaper for the 1660 Super, and either way I wanted the ROG because the ROG received the best or second best noise and thermal scores in reviews for both the 1650 Super and the 1070. I see someone listed an Asus TUF 1660 Super for the same price (so perhaps they'll agree to lower it if asking about the price), also claiming it's like new and with warranty, but they're both quite far away and I didn't find reviews for that model to compare noise and thermal performance.

I considered buying an MSI 1650 Super Gaming X from the store earlier at about $230, and that model also got the highest scores along the ROG, but they had only 1 in stock which is gone now and anyway for that price I said I'll try to find better and used.

EDIT: OK, I found a different website which did a review for the TUF 1660 Super and it received THIS noise measure???

Noise Levels

Now, in terms of the noise levels, well of course with a 3 fan configuration, it is expected that the ASUS TUF 1660 Super is the loudest at 100% fan speed at 71.7 decibels. However, at idle, it’s relatively quiet at 40.6 decibels.

That's either a mistake, or a different measurement method by this reviewer, or it is MUCH MUCH louder than the other cards, because the ROG version of the 1650 Super was said to be very quite at around 30dBa, while cards that got around 40 were said to be rather loud. 71.6dBa will be more than 16 times as loud as the ROG.
Probably different methods of testing, but let me tell you this:
Thermal, and even noise level with this class of gpu is a non issue. These gpus take so little power, and produce so little heat the fans rarely ramp above 50%.

I'd say to ask about that 1660 super TUF, tell you him you found a ROG STRIX version for the same price, so maybe 20$ off would be a good middleground.
(You could low ball him, then raise it slowly. say, 250$, he will say no, then ask him, then maybe 270? Douche move, but it works.)

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Probably different methods of testing, but let me tell you this:
Thermal, and even noise level with this class of gpu is a non issue. These gpus take so little power, and produce so little heat the fans rarely ramp above 50%.

I'd say to ask about that 1660 super TUF, tell you him you found a ROG STRIX version for the same price, so maybe 20$ off would be a good middleground.
(You could low ball him, then raise it slowly. say, 250$, he will say no, then ask him, then maybe 270? Douche move, but it works.)
The reviews I read about the Gigabyte versions (don't remember if it was 1650 or 1660) clearly mentioned how they are loud in comparison to other models, and the single fan version even got to over 80 degrees Celsius while gaming while the ROG version got to low-60s and was considerably quieter, so I'd say it can matter.

The reviews I read about the Gigabyte versions (don't remember if it was 1650 or 1660) clearly mentioned how they are loud in comparison to other models, and the single fan version even got to over 80 degrees Celsius while gaming while the ROG version got to low-60s and was considerably quieter, so I'd say it can matter.
80C is totally fine.
My gtx 1080 rog strix runs at 82C while gaming.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
80C is totally fine.
My gtx 1080 rog strix runs at 82C while gaming.
Hm... Well, perhaps that GPU runs hotter, because when they compared the series of makes for the same GPU the ROG was 60+ while the worst was 20 degrees higher. What is the ambient temperature around yours?

But I guess I'll might buy the 1660 Super. I talked to a seller that currently asks for the same price for the 1070 ROG, and agrees to negotiate, but from the images it looks rather beat up even if they wrote "as new".