Should i buy an Anti Static Wrist strap?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Before i ask, Ps3hacker12, dont troll this please!, you have already made your point -_- thanks.

anyways to those who are NOT ps3hacker12 or bnot... do you think i should buy one. Its going to be my first build. My room is carpet heavy (no where is it wooden, and also its rather thick), i have chairs which i can sit on but they have plastic lining on them (which i heard creates more static). also the table top is made of this plasticky texture too.

So is there alot of risk, it costs about 4 quid, so im wondering if i should get it?

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
unless you're constantly getting shocked walking around your mouse it wont be necessary. Just touch the case every so often and you should be fine. As a mater of fact you can make the anti-static band yourself, just get a steel wire tie it to your wrist and the other end to your computer case and it'll work the same way except it the ghetto way LOL.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
why my entire hand, i mean aluminium fiol, not tin foil

anyways
its going to be in a type of stringy shape. One end of he string wraps around my hand, the other end is tied to the metal case?

what do you think?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

You should cover your whole body just in case XD.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

just get a copper wire (ill give you one if you want), tie it around your wrist and put the other end to a radiator or the metal casing if you want. imo you should just lean on the case or tap something metal occasionally. or just buy the strap.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I had an antistatic mat grounded and my wife didn't like it. So instead, whenever I need to work inside the case I take the following steps:

1. Shut down the rig.
2. Unplug it from the surge protector.
3. Wait at least 30 seconds.
4. Before touching anything else touch some grounded metal.
5. Touch some metal on the case.

Then and only then do I touch any electronic component.

I fried a mobo (back in the '90's) and following this routine have not fried anything since.

I also don't hotswap unless the component is USB, firewire or eSATA external to the case. Not worth the risk.

A wrist strap is well recommended, but don't stop with just a strap. Use good anti-static practice to avoid bricking your rig.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

WTF, how did it break even more?!? it was already like trying to ride a unicycle, why not just use a replacement chair?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

meh, its a good workout lol.