[SOLVED] Should I buy an HP Z840 or a Dell T7910 ?

mgadallah

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hi everyone.
How are you doing today, hope everything cool.
Please I am upgrading my machine and comparing between these two workstations and can not make a decision yet.
HP z840 or DELL t7910?
Please advice for which one considered better?
Also which one considered more expansible for later on upgrades?
Will use it for video editing and encoding. Also for programming and will have a simulator and several VMWare machines running for testing different software being developed.
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone.
Please I am upgrading my machine and comparing between these two workstations and can not make a decision yet.
HP z840 or DELL t7910?
Will use it for video editing and encoding. Also for programming and will have a simulator and several VMWare machines running for testing different software being developed.
Thanks
Since both of these would be used boxes, the specific configuration of each one being looked at would be important.
I have more history with HP so I will comment about the Z840 but the T7910 looks similar....
This is a dual socket motherboard. It...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone.
HP z840 or DELL t7910?
Thanks
Since both of these would be used boxes, the specific configuration of each one being looked at would be important.
I have more history with HP so I will comment about the Z840 but the T7910 looks similar....
This is a dual socket motherboard. It requires Windows PRO.
The E5-26xx V3/V4 CPU is a quad memory channel processor. For best performance you want 4 or 8 DIMMs per CPU. Since you want VMs, you want a LOT of RAM.
You may find a Z840 with a V3 CPU. I think the Dell only had V4.
There were two different power supplies available for the Z840 -- 850W and 1125W. Keep this in mind for powering graphics cards.
A 10GE card may be a good add on.

Reactions: mgadallah
Solution

TRENDING THREADS